Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Just a thought... When's my transmission going to die?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    571

    Default Just a thought... When's my transmission going to die?

    I had the fluid flushed at 180,000km (bought it at 165k), and the mechanic said it was well due for a change. I'm up to 196,000km on the original trans now, and obviously auto trans's don't last forever. I follow the service indicator and plan on getting the trans flushed every oil service, ie about every 20,000km.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    baton rouge, loserana
    Posts
    6,923

    Default

    usually when it's the most inconveinant time it can happen
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,171

    Default

    Winfred...surprised you weren't totally up front with Dan. Your trans will fail at
    207, 345 km late in the afternoon after you pull your last hole shot.
    Start preparing now.
    George

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Benneton (United Colors of)
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    why don't you change it every 1/2 service interval and sleep a little better? mine gets changed every 6k or 3k on conventional oil, that service indicator is a little long for my liking (its usually 10k or so before i have to reset it).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Winfred...surprised you weren't totally up front with Dan. Your trans will fail at
    207, 345 km late in the afternoon after you pull your last hole shot.
    Start preparing now.
    George
    Oh ha ha... I guess it's true, ask a stupid question, and a stupid person will give a stupid answer. I was looking for some kind of indication, like "300k with no problems", or "never seen one last over 200k". I suppose I should have worded it a little different...

    Ryan, I find that with fully synthetic Mobil 1, my oil is still clear at the end of the service indicator, so don't see the point in changing it any earlier. Changing it at half intervals would also mean four changes a year instead of two, and while I'm putting myself through university I'm trying to save as much as I can. The transmission fluid should be completely changed every 30-40k, but I get it done every 20k with one of those machines that hook up to the cooler lines to change almost every drop at once. I'm talking kilometers of course, and I guess you're thinking miles (6200 miles = 10,000 km).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    343

    Default I've seen/heard of many that have lasted over

    200,000 miles. My 1991 525i, with the GM auto tranny, has 160,000 miles and is still working great with no repairs other than fluid/filters.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Benneton (United Colors of)
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ
    Oh ha ha... I guess it's true, ask a stupid question, and a stupid person will give a stupid answer. I was looking for some kind of indication, like "300k with no problems", or "never seen one last over 200k". I suppose I should have worded it a little different...

    Ryan, I find that with fully synthetic Mobil 1, my oil is still clear at the end of the service indicator, so don't see the point in changing it any earlier. Changing it at half intervals would also mean four changes a year instead of two, and while I'm putting myself through university I'm trying to save as much as I can. The transmission fluid should be completely changed every 30-40k, but I get it done every 20k with one of those machines that hook up to the cooler lines to change almost every drop at once. I'm talking kilometers of course, and I guess you're thinking miles (6200 miles = 10,000 km).
    i'm driving my car for work right now, so i try to change tranny fluid at least once every 2 months (6k miles, 10k km). i only do a drainplug change. the reason i do this instead of the complete flush is that i've found that using it for work is REAAALLLL hard on it. yes, the fluid is still exceptionally pink, and passes the paper towel test, but i can tell from the smell that the chemistry has changed. by doing it partially every 2 months, i renew the additive pack somewhat, instead of letting it break down significantly more before replacing it all, this way, yeah, it is being "completely" changed, but its at my convenience, and it costs a lot less than taking it somewhere to be hooked up to the machine. i only use the syn. atf in the PS fluid, i don't bother anymore with using it in the tranny because its being replaced so often. its also a lot cheaper to do it with regular stuff, IE, i can buy 4 bottles of regular ATF for the price of 1 bottle of mobil1. i can just buy a case at 12.00 and have enough for 4 changes.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    343

    Default Ryan, what is your tranny filter replacement schedule?

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    i'm driving my car for work right now, so i try to change tranny fluid at least once every 2 months (6k miles, 10k km). i only do a drainplug change. the reason i do this instead of the complete flush is that i've found that using it for work is REAAALLLL hard on it. yes, the fluid is still exceptionally pink, and passes the paper towel test, but i can tell from the smell that the chemistry has changed. by doing it partially every 2 months, i renew the additive pack somewhat, instead of letting it break down significantly more before replacing it all, this way, yeah, it is being "completely" changed, but its at my convenience, and it costs a lot less than taking it somewhere to be hooked up to the machine. i only use the syn. atf in the PS fluid, i don't bother anymore with using it in the tranny because its being replaced so often. its also a lot cheaper to do it with regular stuff, IE, i can buy 4 bottles of regular ATF for the price of 1 bottle of mobil1. i can just buy a case at 12.00 and have enough for 4 changes.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Miami Lakes, FL USA
    Posts
    452

    Default You still delivering pizzas with that thing???....

    Or was it pick-ups for the Alachua County Sperm Bank?

    Come-on....fess-up! What is your chosen lot in life?....at least for now!

    Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Benneton (United Colors of)
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    ...if the relative danger of the job increases any more, it won't be for much longer (lets just say that i've already made back 1/2 the value of the gun by having it on me and making it semi-understandable that i did) and i'll fess up. (its probably the only "working" gun in gainesville that gets castrol 0w30 syn and mobil 1 grease for lubrication :^) i'll spare you the mother jokes that i use liberally to the people arouned me, as i'm not a completely insensitive bastard.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So when's this virtual car show thing happening?
    By Jon K in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 01:15 PM
  2. You thought your car was bad?
    By liquidtiger720 in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 03:23 AM
  3. Jr. Here's one i thought you might want... but it
    By Bill R. in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 11:26 PM
  4. i never thought 25m.p.g. would be possible.....
    By tim s in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 05:56 AM
  5. I thought someone would buy this....
    By AZ_Jason_S in forum 5 Series BMW
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •