GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 525i Front Violant Shakes

Default 525i Front Violant Shakes

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I have learned a whole lot from your archived postings and you have saved me a ton of money. I trust that you can help me. I mean I hope.
    I have two 525i's; an '89 and a 92. I just bought the 92. I had heavy vibrations on the front end so the first thing I did is replace the upper and lower control arms; they were original and the car has 116k miles. I still had front end vibs, and I learned from this forum that I was missing the Hub Centric Rings for the 18" non-stock wheels. I installed the correct rings but I still have a 60-65mph shake; which I suspect are the wheels being out of balance or that the wheels are not perfectly centered. However, I get violant shakes on the front end when I am on a turn and I go over turtlebacks on the road. What would cause this? Could it be the struts? They look original.

I changed the thrust arms on my '89 525, as well as all 4 struts, not including the springs; and 99.9% of the shakes went away. The only thing I haven't changed on the '92 is the struts. Could this be causing the violant shakes? And perhaps the vibs at 60-65mph? I bought the performance rubber bushing thrust arms from Bavarian online.
    Thanks in advance; and I think you folks rock.
    I have some other problems but I will attack them one at a time.
    I also have pictures for repairing the Sword Resistor pack if anyone is interested. I got the idea from the www.bmwe34.net site.

MontesCarlos

Swap wheels for a day. Those 18's may be knackered.
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    Swap wheels for a day. Those 18's may be knackered.
    I considered that for the shakes. I will probably do this next weekend.

I'm worried about the violant shakes. I bought this car from Oregon only a few weeks ago, and now I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake.

Bellevue, WA eh? I'm in Marysville, WA

Default Howdy neighbor.

I'll make a point to announce any garage get together's, as well as Redhook lunchings. I have a spare set of stockish wheels to check for shimmy causes.
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    I'll make a point to announce any garage get together's, as well as Redhook lunchings. I have a spare set of stockish wheels to check for shimmy causes.
    Thanks!

Folks I hope you didn't think that I have resolved my problem? I'm trying to find out what would cause front end shaking when I go over turtlebacks on a turn. I have already replaced the control arms, both upper and lower.

Any ideas??? Anyone??

Thanks

havve you verified that the wheels are perfectly round on the INSIDE off the rim? IE no flats...

Default my turn...

struts.

Only reason I say that is because it was suggested you have the wheels & tires checked for out of round and balance and I'm sure you did this already right?

Next thing is that the hubcentric rings are incorrect for your wheels or somehow got damaged.

Thats it mann!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Violent shakes are sometimes caused by sticking calipers. It's easy to check, the car is seem to be slightly underpowered upon take off, but when you hit a bump in the road, the binding caliper will cause that side to shake violently, as if the front end of the car was bouncing.

If the car still had the original control and thrust arms, I would doubt the owner never had the brake fluid flushed. The calipers will stick in the bore because of corrosion. The problem will be pronounced when braking before a turn, or it will start to shake above 40 mph after making a stop.

Find a good straight highway, make a few moderate stops and continue for a mile. Pull the car over safely, and get out and feel the front rims for excessive heat. They should be just slightly warm, anything else would mean a caliper problem.

You can try the rebuilding method first, the seals and new rings are cheap enough as long as the caliper piston isn't pitted. Clean everything up good and re-lubricate the contact points of the brake pads and slide pins. Once you price rebuilt calipers this option will definately look better.

It's easy enough to check, and doesn't cost anything to troubleshoot it.

Hope this helps,
    Jr

Default right, sticky one gets hot and pulsates but...

when that happens you usually get a severe pull in one direction or another upon braking.

Thats what I remember at least.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast