GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cutting Springs

Default Cutting Springs

Hey guys,

I know many of you are REALLY against cutting your springs, but I spent all this money on shocks, springs, mounts, etc and the car did NOT lower where I wanted it to go and I can't spend anymore money on this.

What does everybody think of cutting 1 coil of the H&R lowering springs off? I dont mind harshness, I just don't want BOUNCE.

it's obviously not the "right" think to do but whatever.. do what makes you happy.
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

i would like to know how you plan to cut it. with your teeth?

springs are not that hard to cut.
    A good angle grinder with a cutting wheel will do the trick in a minute or so.

I'm just trying to see what people think - will it cause bounciness or just harshness?

You risk the spring jumping the perch when the suspension unloads.

It's a fantastically stupid idea.

Give it a while for the suspension to settle down to its more permanent ride hight. New shocks and springs WILL RIDE HIGH WHEN THEY ARE NEW. Relax.

Default my nephews m3 springs had to settle.......

now he has a hard time driving over short speed bumps.
    his bronco ii tranny also died last months & winter weather is coming soon to pa.
    tim s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    You risk the spring jumping the perch when the suspension unloads.

It's a fantastically stupid idea.

Give it a while for the suspension to settle down to its more permanent ride hight. New shocks and springs WILL RIDE HIGH WHEN THEY ARE NEW. Relax.
    I know, I know - many people including yourself have told me this, but there are also several people that I know and / or have talked to that used H&R and after over 2,000 miles have had not one bit of drop from settling. It just really sucks to spend a certain amount of money to not get the results you are looking for.

I’d try spring clamps first! Cutting a spring will change its properties and you might not like the result! Plus there’s no going back after you cut them. And you risk falling the mot!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypr5
    I know, I know - many people including yourself have told me this, but there are also several people that I know and / or have talked to that used H&R and after over 2,000 miles have had not one bit of drop from settling. It just really sucks to spend a certain amount of money to not get the results you are looking for.

I'll dissent on this one. Removing one coil shouldn't be a big deal...tuners do it all the time...including big name brand guys. You need to measure the spring to make sure it is not conical and by cutting one coil it will nest exactly the same in the spring perch or above to the strut bearing grommet. I would not remove more than one coil....and may even consider cutting half a coil. Yes it will increase your spring rate...as much as 10-15%. Other thing you can do...which isn't an exact science is heat the spring under load to sag it down...difficult to achieve an equivalent drop cross-car with this technique however. You want to assess your ride as it is right now to determine if you can tolerate more stiffness. H&R springs are pretty aggressive springs and typical promote a 1.25" drop...surprised they did not achieve the drop you desired. It has been reported that Bilstein shocks can prop up the front end of a car a bit...maybe a contribuiting factor.
    Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.
    George

Thanks for that, it's nice to hear another opinion. I do have bilsteins and I would actually like the springs to be STIFFER, but I fear the dreaded bounce and bob on the highway. I did consider cutting less than one coil, but the reason I would have to go with one full coil is that it's the only way it would still seat properly. The upper mount and lower perch are both indented where the end of the coil seats.

To the person who said use spring compressors, are you talking about those things that people clamp on to their springs with bolts and "u" clips to "lower" a car? Do you know the proper term for these so I can buy them to get a feel for this before I do a permanent change to the springs?

Thanks a bunch

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast