GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just a thought... When's my transmission going to die?

yearly, regardless of mileage. i don't think i really even need to do it that often, it just gives me a chance to take a looksee at the magnet. my mother's ford, however, seems to get one whenever we have to extend an extended warranty (her choice, not mine0.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Huh

Your trans will fail at .......after you pull your last hole shot
    Can 525 autos "Do" hole shots Dan?????
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    Can 525 autos "Do" hole shots Dan?????
    Oh ha ha ha...

If the road is wet, and I hold the brake a little with my left foot before flooring the gas, I can get a little spin thank you very much.

Did you manage to contact your parts man??? I still need my 1991-1994 Alpine or Pioneer stereo from an E34 or E32... I've got the cd changer cable and radio harness coming from SD European, if they ever get back to me, and I've ordered the bmw-pio/m interface cable from the states. Hopefully it will all go together without a hitch.

Default Tranny fluid change: Never? Or every 10 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    yearly, regardless of mileage. i don't think i really even need to do it that often, it just gives me a chance to take a looksee at the magnet. my mother's ford, however, seems to get one whenever we have to extend an extended warranty (her choice, not mine0.
    Why is it that BMW says lifetime and others on the board say every 10 minutes?
    Who gives who a lesson?

Default Very few of the E34 models have the "lifetime" fluid

Only the 540i's, in the E34 models, as I recall have what BMW calls the "lifetime" fluid. Even that is a misnomer, as it needs to be changed on a regular basis, just not as often. I have seen time frames of 50,000 to 75,000 recommended for the "lifetime" stuff. Any other of the E34's do not use this long-term fluid and need fluid changes frequently no matter what the BMW dealers say. The time frame for this stuff varies because of the anality (is that a word) of the owners, but 20,000 miles seems like an average interval.

Frequently owners of 525i's, etc., that have no dipstick/fill tube are told that they have a "sealed" tranny and therefore do not need any tranny service. That is total crap and is bogus as a 3 dollar bill. Since the non-lifetime fluid is so inexpensive (usually Dexron III) it makes no sense at all to avoid changing the fluid, at least, frequently. The filter is another matter, as you have to drop the pan to change it and that is not as easy to do. However, draining and refilling the tranny with fresh fluid is easy and should be a regular part of your car maintainance.

Quote Originally Posted by lesage
    Why is it that BMW says lifetime and others on the board say every 10 minutes?
    Who gives who a lesson?

Thans for observations, Dick

lesage
    92 525iXaT 126k
    86 316 129k
    both overdue for a tranny fluid change ???
    Z3 2.8 19k
    Not yet overdue..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12