Unregistered Guest

Default Gasoline Grade

I use regular 87 in my 92 525i,

Is it bad to use this fuel?
    What would it effect?

Jonathan

Default Since you have a 92 you have 10 to 1 compression and you don't

have knock sensors.. which is why they specify premium for your year
    excessive preignition can take place on yours damaging the motor if its severe enough. I would say that yes its bad to use this fuel.
    Now if you had a newer m50 with vanos then you could get away with regular since it has knock sensors and will retard the timing if knock is detected.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I use regular 87 in my 92 525i,

Is it bad to use this fuel?
    What would it effect?

Jonathan

Default Why use higher octane in new m50 engines?

I have heard conflicting info about the benfits of higher octane on the newer m50 engines. Some say performace/gas mileage is better with 89 than 91-93 octane. I have tried both in my car. It seems as if performace/gas mileage was better in the summer with 91 chevron (for example) and no difference/worse in the colder winter months here in KY.

Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    have knock sensors.. which is why they specify premium for your year
    excessive preignition can take place on yours damaging the motor if its severe enough. I would say that yes its bad to use this fuel.
    Now if you had a newer m50 with vanos then you could get away with regular since it has knock sensors and will retard the timing if knock is detected.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

my 95 says to use midgrade (89) or higher.

but since my car is chipped, i have to use 91 (yea, cali sucks, it's the highest we have).

Default Russell 89aki minimum is whats specified for the m50tu, and since this

motor has an even higher compression ration 10.5 to 1 than the m50, in order to get the maximum power and efficiency out of it, you should run that octane or higher. Probably higher to keep from retarding the timing any.. although i can't verify that. It will run on the lower octane 89 but I suspect that maximum power will be produced with 91 or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    I have heard conflicting info about the benfits of higher octane on the newer m50 engines. Some say performace/gas mileage is better with 89 than 91-93 octane. I have tried both in my car. It seems as if performace/gas mileage was better in the summer with 91 chevron (for example) and no difference/worse in the colder winter months here in KY.

Just an observation.

Default Thanks-this is my thinking as well

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    motor has an even higher compression ration 10.5 to 1 than the m50, in order to get the maximum power and efficiency out of it, you should run that octane or higher. Probably higher to keep from retarding the timing any.. although i can't verify that. It will run on the lower octane 89 but I suspect that maximum power will be produced with 91 or higher.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment