GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to jump start?

Default How to jump start?

Just came back from a trip, my 1992 525i will not start, just makes a clicking sound, the engin will not turn over.
    How do I jump start it with boster cables?
    Also a stupid question, where is the battery? Is it under the back seat? How do I get to it.

Please help, we are expecting a snow storm tonight.

You can jump start from engine compartment. A positive terminal by the firewall on passenger side. Ground to one of your shock tower nut.

Many thanks, I will go home at Lunch and try it. Should I need to get a new battery, How do I remove the old one?

Quote Originally Posted by nickple
    Many thanks, I will go home at Lunch and try it. Should I need to get a new battery, How do I remove the old one?
    1. Open rear door
    2. Lift up on bottom seat cushion where it meets the carpeting (in the front)
    3. Pull seat cushion out of car
    4. Undo the small bolt anchoring the battery in (6 mm maybe??)
    5. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery
    6. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery
    7. Undo the bolt at the side/base of the battery holding it in
    8. Lift the battery out and disconnect the vent tube.
    9. Installation is reverse of removal.

You may need a screw driver to gently pry the cables off of the battery terminals. And if you have a stock radio with out the radio code it is off to the dealer to have them look up the code for you.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Many thanks Rory, one last question. I live in Montreal, Canada. What type or brand of battery should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by nickple
    Many thanks Rory, one last question. I live in Montreal, Canada. What type or brand of battery should I get?
    Just make sure it wasn't manufactured in Canada!!

Sorry, couldn't resist the jab. I would recommend an AutoZone's Duralast 49D battery ($65 US when I did mine 2 months ago) or an Interstate Battery (MTP-93 or MTP-91). If the parent company of the battery is Johnson Controls then you probably cannot go wrong. And also make sure that you get the vent tube for the new battery.

Good Luck,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Default Hey Rory...

Quote Originally Posted by Rory
    Just make sure it wasn't manufactured in Canada!!

Sorry, couldn't resist the jab. I would recommend an AutoZone's Duralast 49D battery ($65 US when I did mine 2 months ago) or an Interstate Battery (MTP-93 or MTP-91). If the parent company of the battery is Johnson Controls then you probably cannot go wrong. And also make sure that you get the vent tube for the new battery.

Good Luck,
    Rory
    ...I put my car in a garage for the winter and wanted to get a battery charger (the car will go for at least a month without being driven) On the 535 the battery is under the back seat. It's OK to use the charger on the jumper post under the hood and just ground it to something under there right? I don't have to clip it right to the battery do I?

Thanks,

Phil

what does the vent tube look like? i dont remember seeing one when i put a new battery in.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Default here's some pics....

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    what does the vent tube look like? i dont remember seeing one when i put a new battery in.
    Sorry, I don't have any pics of the e34...but here are some pics from my e38. I'm going to assume that the vent location in the e34 is similar to the e32...and in my e32 the vent tube went through the floor of the battery location. The OE BMW battery vent hole was at the end of the battery (see 1st pic below)...but if you get one mfg'd by Johnson Controls ( like the Duralast or Interstate)...a kit comes with the battery that includes an adapter and a long tube that can attach to the existing vent hose. (see2nd pic below) If you've lost the vent hose...go to your local Home Depot/Lowes/Bldr Square and purchase about a foot of plastic tubing...they all sell it by the linear foot....just make sure it'll go thru the hole in the floor.

Hopefully you have Autozone where you live...the Duralast is a great replacement battery and comes highly recommended.

BMW OE venting adaptor (black) and hose (gray) in an e38:

this is pic of the vent kit instructions w/the adaptor...the tube that came in the kit is already attached to the hose...I took the pic after installing the battery:

Please , seriously consider venting your battery...it can explode if not vented properly. This has come up on other boards I frequent and someone always says it's not necessary...then someones battery explodes and the naysayers disappear. You do not want this to happen to you...trying to neutralize all that battery acid from under your seat, praying that it doesn't burn up your leather...or eat thru the metal...what a pain!

Here's an example of a non vented battery that exploded in the trunk of an e38:
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

How did you upload such large pics I’m limited to 39kb!

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    Sorry, I don't have any pics of the e34...but here are some pics from my e38. I'm going to assume that the vent location in the e34 is similar to the e32...and in my e32 the vent tube went through the floor of the battery location. The OE BMW battery vent hole was at the end of the battery (see 1st pic below)...but if you get one mfg'd by Johnson Controls ( like the Duralast or Interstate)...a kit comes with the battery that includes an adapter and a long tube that can attach to the existing vent hose. (see2nd pic below) If you've lost the vent hose...go to your local Home Depot/Lowes/Bldr Square and purchase about a foot of plastic tubing...they all sell it by the linear foot....just make sure it'll go thru the hole in the floor.

Hopefully you have Autozone where you live...the Duralast is a great replacement battery and comes highly recommended.

BMW OE venting adaptor (black) and hose (gray) in an e38:

this is pic of the vent kit instructions w/the adaptor...the tube that came in the kit is already attached to the hose...I took the pic after installing the battery:

Please , seriously consider venting your battery...it can explode if not vented properly. This has come up on other boards I frequent and someone always says it's not necessary...then someones battery explodes and the naysayers disappear. You do not want this to happen to you...trying to neutralize all that battery acid from under your seat, praying that it doesn't burn up your leather...or eat thru the metal...what a pain!

Here's an example of a non vented battery that exploded in the trunk of an e38:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast