GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Stereo head unit replacement

Default Stereo head unit replacement

I am planning to replace my factory head unit with an aftermarket unit in order to gain some features not available in the stock cassette/CD changer set-up such as MP3, BBE, EQ, etc. I have already purchased the adapter plug and antenna adapter, so I think that this is all I need to get the job done. However, I have some concerns.

It is my understanding that the stock amp gets its audio signal from the speaker level outputs (~ 5 watts) of the head unit. As you all know, aftermarket head units are all high power output now (~ 20 watts). My fear is that if I replace my factory head unit with an aftermarket, its high power output will cause the factory amp to clip and distort. Hopefully, the factory amp has some headroom and can be driven by the higher power aftermarket unit.

So, does anyone have experience here? I don't to replace the whole system, nor do I want to spend money on a new head unit only to have it perform worse than the stock unit.

Thanks,

Paul K.
    '94 530it

Quote Originally Posted by jpkasper
    I am planning to replace my factory head unit with an aftermarket unit in order to gain some features not available in the stock cassette/CD changer set-up such as MP3, BBE, EQ, etc. I have already purchased the adapter plug and antenna adapter, so I think that this is all I need to get the job done. However, I have some concerns.

It is my understanding that the stock amp gets its audio signal from the speaker level outputs (~ 5 watts) of the head unit. As you all know, aftermarket head units are all high power output now (~ 20 watts). My fear is that if I replace my factory head unit with an aftermarket, its high power output will cause the factory amp to clip and distort. Hopefully, the factory amp has some headroom and can be driven by the higher power aftermarket unit.

So, does anyone have experience here? I don't to replace the whole system, nor do I want to spend money on a new head unit only to have it perform worse than the stock unit.

Thanks,

Paul K.
    '94 530it
    Hey Paul, I bought a new head unit from Crutchfield about 9 months ago. Included in the kit I ordered was a unit that would drop the power from the HU output to the low level the factory amp. expects. The piece from Crutchfield is called PAC OEM-2. It's a bit of a tight fit, but you can place this device in the dash behind, kinda to the side, or the head unit.

Hope this helps.
    Bob Dennedy
    1992 525i, 5-speed, black, black leather, sunroof, eibach pro sports