GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Testing Coils and plugs

Default Testing Coils and plugs

Hi all,not much idea of how to test the coil connector to the plugs, could someone tell me how its done,i`m getting some hesitation on take off on my 94,525i. Sometime ago i noticed rubber rings on 2 different spark plugs and i suspect that the connector is not fitted well on some of the plugs...
    TIA/ jj

Default if and when in doubt replace them...

probably time anyways, cheap items.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    probably time anyways, cheap items.
    Jeff, i agree with you on the replacing,but what bothers me with the coils to be exact is that they are rather new, when i take them off the spark plug, and put them back again i feel some of them make some type of resistance;ie, the spring like wire inside the boot its touching the spark perfectly, while,other coils fit on the spark with no resistance at all,as if the spring inside the boot is not in ful contact with the plug....
    i tried to do tests on my own but couldnt get any readings...you know....so that what made me wonder how this testing is made...in one earlier posts one thread mentioned that but forgot where to locate it...i think that posting was related to one of the friends in this forum who tested the MAS and gave good results,but turned out to be faulty later on...but don`t know who ????

I appreciate your time and effort....

Default I believe the plug boots are seperate of the coils,

When I first got me car I had a miss...replaced the injectors, coils, plugs etc. Still had a miss and hesitation, did NOT want to see if the engine was Nikasil at that point. Found a huge leak in the intake hose, took care of the hesitation but the miss was still there, only at idle and more pronounced with the air on. Last thing I did was replaced the boots and the miss was gone...wasted a LOT of money before doing the boots.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    When I first got me car I had a miss...replaced the injectors, coils, plugs etc. Still had a miss and hesitation, did NOT want to see if the engine was Nikasil at that point. Found a huge leak in the intake hose, took care of the hesitation but the miss was still there, only at idle and more pronounced with the air on. Last thing I did was replaced the boots and the miss was gone...wasted a LOT of money before doing the boots.
    yeah man thats what i mean, i have the 100% exact syndrom in my engine, the thing is am taking it step by step, am all on electrical now,found 2 faulty ignition wires coming from the ecu,too much resistance...i still bet on the coils not in full contact with some of the plugs but can`t determine which is which for that i wanted to test them to sort them out...

Default JJ for the cost throw them away and get all new ones.

after you figure out which 2 are bad and replace them, one month from now youll have a couple more giving you ****. Think of it like replacing 1 bad plug at a time.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

I'll be happy to pay shipping on any old or suspect coils so I can see if the following test works. Any volunteers?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ghlight=ringer

Paul Shovestul
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.