GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How hard to swap clutch out? 95 525i

Default How hard to swap clutch out? 95 525i

Going to go with the UUC E34 M5 Clutch setup...stock clutch is slipping at 109k and I have to make a long damn trip next weekend.

I need some serious help on this one, never changed a clutch before and I don't know if I can get a pro to help me before next Friday.

Also, if there are any parts other than flywheel/press plate, TO bearing, and clutch disk that I should be changing when I rip this thing apart, somebody please let me know
    Last edited by Aaron Bakos; 02-14-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Default Its not really any of my business but don't you think that thats a

bit of overkill ? using the uuc flywheel and the m5 clutch kit? Its 500 for the flywheel and you'll probably spend around 300 for the m5 clutch parts or more, I don't know the price on the clutch kit... I can think of a whole lot of things to spend 800 on instead... I would probably go with a stock clutch myself since yours lasted 100k already. As far as changing it out goes , its fairly difficult for a first timer. And it will go a lot easier with a helper.
    For your first one plan on spending a whole day on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bakos
    Going to go with the UUC E34 M5 Clutch...stock clutch is slipping at 109k and I have to make a long damn trip next weekend.

I need some serious help on this one, never changed a clutch before and I don't know if I can get a pro to help me before next Friday.

Also, if there are any parts other than flywheel/press plate, TO bearing, and clutch disk that I should be changing when I rip this thing apart, somebody please let me know

I just did the job on a 1990 535im. I've done done a few clutch jobs in my life and IMHO this job was the biggest PITA I've run accross. MAke sure you have time.

Here's a few links of advice I was given, and info about my experience in general.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e3...ges/56336.html
    http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e3...ges/54438.html
    http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e3...ges/52797.html

Good time to consider a different shifter.
    http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e3...ges/56125.html

I also replaced two of the transmission seals and the rear engine seal, and the plastic pin the clutch fork sits on.

A few more threads with advice given to me off the old board:
    http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e3...ges/52637.html
    Here's the first thread, when I asked the same question you did:
    http://www.bimmernut.com/wwwboard/e3...ges/52551.html

Going to go with the UUC E34 M5 Clutch...stock clutch is slipping at 109k and I have to make a long damn trip next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    bit of overkill ? using the uuc flywheel and the m5 clutch kit? Its 500 for the flywheel and you'll probably spend around 300 for the m5 clutch parts or more, I don't know the price on the clutch kit... I can think of a whole lot of things to spend 800 on instead... I would probably go with a stock clutch myself since yours lasted 100k already. As far as changing it out goes , its fairly difficult for a first timer. And it will go a lot easier with a helper.
    For your first one plan on spending a whole day on it.
    Well...I know what you mean about the $$$. I have every intention of swapping motors later this year (as long as the wife lets me ), and doing great things with this car. The flywheel is just another step...besides, it'll have some resale value if I want to part with it later.

The other part of it is celebrating with some of the signing bonus on a new job!

Default Thanks Ed- That's perfect...and nice slide show!

This is some great stuff...

And scrary too, I wanted to intall an E28 flywheel, after seeing this job, I am not sure I want to do it anymore.
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
    This is some great stuff...

And scrary too, I wanted to intall an E28 flywheel, after seeing this job, I am not sure I want to do it anymore.
    That's no joke Bruno...trust me, I have absolutely no desire to do this job myself. The one nice thing is that the exhaust is all flange joints, so as long as I get new bolts that shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully I can swing the driveshaft down without too much problem. The rest shouldn't hurt too much...just take a long time.

My buddy's going to help me, he's a Ford expert, but together we've worked on all kinds of different cars. Hopefully we can find our way through this job without any major snafu's. The car is going to get a few thousand more miles on it over the next month.

Anybody know if the clutch kit comes with an alignment tool?

No, the clutch kit down not come with an alignment tool. At least the one I got from BMA didn't. I asked about a one peice (relatively inexpensive) alignment tool at a BMW dealer and they did know what I was talking about, but they would have had to order it. I ended up using a universal one.

That's no joke Bruno...trust me, I have absolutely no desire to do this job myself. The one nice thing is that the exhaust is all flange joints, so as long as I get new bolts that shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully I can swing the driveshaft down without too much problem. The rest shouldn't hurt too much...just take a long time.

My buddy's going to help me, he's a Ford expert, but together we've worked on all kinds of different cars. Hopefully we can find our way through this job without any major snafu's. The car is going to get a few thousand more miles on it over the next month.

Anybody know if the clutch kit comes with an alignment tool?

Default I'll take the clutch disk to AutoZone...see if I can grab one.

Thanks again Ed, you're saving my butt on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Nut Ed
    No, the clutch kit down not come with an alignment tool. At least the one I got from BMA didn't. I asked about a one peice (relatively inexpensive) alignment tool at a BMW dealer and they did know what I was talking about, but they would have had to order it. I ended up using a universal one.

Default I dont think a uuc m5 clutch will do anything at all for your resale price.....

it may make a tiny difference or make the difference between your car another car with the original clutch...You wont get your money back.I am with Bill ....get a stock clutch
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast