GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard to swap clutch out? 95 525i

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    it may make a tiny difference or make the difference between your car another car with the original clutch...You wont get your money back.I am with Bill ....get a stock clutch

Too late...besides, I need to have a little fun with this.

I am fully aware that this might be a terrible waste of capital, and I thank you for your concern. At the same time, I'm still young and quite curious about the effects this flywheel/clutch setup will have on my driving experience. If I discover that I was wrong and there's no difference between the UUC setup and stock, so be it, I'll put a stock setup back in and sell the UUC parts.

However, if I find that this makes the car a little more fun and worth the time and effort (er...money), then I will be perfectly content with my investment

There's only one way to find out...

Default Actually I think you'll find that the lightweight flywheel doesn't help your

m50 at all, in fact you may notice it hurting drivability.. the m30 has a generous supply of torque and can get by easier with a lightened flywheel
    It doesn't need that stored energy capability of a flywheel,whereas the m50 makes a lot less torque and at a higher rpm so flywheel weight greatly adds to everyday low rpm drivability around town.. but everybody needs to experience something like this on their own..

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bakos
    Too late...besides, I need to have a little fun with this.

I am fully aware that this might be a terrible waste of capital, and I thank you for your concern. At the same time, I'm still young and quite curious about the effects this flywheel/clutch setup will have on my driving experience. If I discover that I was wrong and there's no difference between the UUC setup and stock, so be it, I'll put a stock setup back in and sell the UUC parts.

However, if I find that this makes the car a little more fun and worth the time and effort (er...money), then I will be perfectly content with my investment

There's only one way to find out...

Default Installed!!

All the parts came in (except the guibo...somehow got the wrong one) 2 days ago, drove out to my buddy's place in PA yesterday morning. Started around 10:30, took a 3 hour break in the afternoon to go get another vehicle aligned, then finished around 12:30 this morning.

All I can say is WOW. The car just feels peppy now...it's hard to explain, but that M5 clutch connects and feels solid. The revs come faster, and the motor spins down faster so it's easier to shift quick.

Bill R. was right about the inertia factor...but I've found it easy enought to compensate for, after driving back from PA this morning I was already adapted to the new setup. The way the car feels very much outweighs the cons of a lighter flywheel.

Also...when I went up to KMS to pick up my flywheel, I picked up some UUC Bushings for the shifter linkage. I wasn't sure if it would change much, but I was wrong. The shifter actually feels like it has gates now, a very worthwhile improvement as well.

I have to do plenty more driving today...so maybe I'll see if I can better describe what the car's doing. I'm still in a *WOW* mood right now...it's an entirely different car!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Bakos
    Going to go with the UUC E34 M5 Clutch setup...stock clutch is slipping at 109k and I have to make a long damn trip next weekend.

I need some serious help on this one, never changed a clutch before and I don't know if I can get a pro to help me before next Friday.

Also, if there are any parts other than flywheel/press plate, TO bearing, and clutch disk that I should be changing when I rip this thing apart, somebody please let me know

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12