GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Nakamichi CD400: am/fm works, cd player doesn't

Default Nakamichi CD400: am/fm works, cd player doesn't

Hello, all! I recently purchased a Nakamichi CD400 in-dash cd player for my 1992 525i. After installation with a snap-on harness, all functions worked except I had no sound when I inserted a CD. (I tried 5 different factory CDs ... no home made CD-Rs). When I put my ear close to the head unit, I can hear the CD spinning and I can see that the digital readout on the faceplate is tracking the CD....but no audio. The am/fm sounds great and all adjustment options work (bass, mid, treble, clock, volume, etc.) The unit is installed level and is supported at the rear. I am not running an external amplifier; all power is supplied by the NAK 400. The CD player accepts and ejects the CD o.k. but there is no audio whether driving or parked. I sent the unit back to Southern California where I purchased it. The fellow said he tested it and it worked o.k. for him. I must be overlooking something. No modifications have been made to the car's speakers, speaker wires, or to the in-dash wiring harness.
    Is there something that is turning off the NAK's internal amplifier when I swith to the CD function? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you, Sam
    Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-09-2004 at 04:02 AM. Reason: spelling error

Nice choice in head unit, that is an absolutely brilliant unit.

Your problem is odd. Make sure it is grounded properly that is the first thing. You can have a lot of senseless problems if it is not grounded correctly.
    Make sure you are getting enough power to the unit. Measure the power output just before the headunit to check that it is correct. A CD uses more power then radio, so this might be the case but i highly doubt it. Also make sure you have decent cables and your fuse is in good shape.

Really, i personally think it sounds like a software problem. I assume you have read the manual in extreme detail. I had the same problem on my VDO unit, on that, whenever it happened i would punch the front of it and it would work(Of course you would never try this on your NAKAMICHI)

I would think it is some kind of weird option that is turned off/on in the menu.

Sorry i dont know much about your problem. Just a few basic things.

If it still doesnt work, You wil DEFFINATELY find the answer to your problem here......

http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/index.php

mine did this, but it was a problem of it not pulling the CD all the way in, and would spit it back out. I fixed this by inserting the cd, letting it make an attempt to play, and giving the unit a nice whack, then it started playing Might also check to see if your internal amp is even turned on. Turn off the unit, hit the button on the bottom left to access the menu, you will see "CLOCK ON, AUX ON, AMP OFF/ON."
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

its in the quick connect harnesses. The ones from circuit city (and I assume from other places as well, as I'm sure no more than 1 person makes them) connects the "Power Antenna Signal" wire from the head unit to the "turn on amp" wire for the trunk amp. Therefore, when you have it set for AM/FM, the amp is on, but on CD, the power antenna signal wire is turned off, and so is the amp. I just spliced the wire for "amp on/off" coming out of my head unit to the amp wire for the trunk amp (white, if I recall correctly), and it worked. Common problem using quick connect harnesses.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Default Nakamichi CD400: am/fm works/CD player doesn't

[QUOTE=e32lover]Nice choice in head unit, that is an absolutely brilliant unit.

Hello, E32 Lover! Thank you for your input. Please see Dan Dombrowski's reply below. He nailed my problem. The NAK400 now works beautifully. What a head unit! Regards, Sam

Hello bimmerdOOd! Thank you for your input. Please see Dan Dombrowski's reply below. He had the solution to my particular problem. Regards, Sam

Hello, Dan! You saved me a trip to a professional installer. Many thanks for sharing your electronics circuitry expertise. Regards, Sam

My Nakamichi might be for sale pretty soon if anyone's interested, i'll accept all reasonable offers
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.