GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: All M5 owners Please help!

Default All M5 owners Please help!

All M5 owners Please help!

I have bought the M5 infill plate for the rear number plate (3 months ago actually) but haven’t fitted it yet because I can’t locate the correct boot (trunk) lock surround. I got the part suggested on the forum #51 24 2 230 4311 it doesn’t fit way to small! The dealers are useless as usual when it comes to cars this old and nobody else knows. I’ve trawled the ETK and cant find it so I was hoping somebody here might have some new info to help or has anyone got an M5 with this part, and can let us know the correct part number. I’m sure it would be of help to loads of us in the same predicament.
    Thanks in advance

Pics coming soon as I get 5 minutes break from uni, nothing special but I love it!

not what you want to hear...the gromit you have is the correct one for an M5, however yours isnt an M5

the parts diagram clearly shows different numbers for the lock on an m5, compaired with say a 525

...if its any consolation - i also have this problem! but i cut mine slightly and it now fits...but im always pushing it back on as it falls of when you press the button!
    Last edited by uk525; 12-08-2004 at 10:01 PM.

Harsh, for letting me know I had a suspicion the M5 locks were going to be different just needed it confirming before giving up. Gutted! I shall just have to come up with an alternative solution. This is quite annoying though because the infill plate is listed as an accessory for a 525. Unusually bad design for BMW!

One other Q; my lock surround measures 390mm od but the hole in the plate is much larger @420mm is ther another pice missing? I wouldn’t mind so much but my car is Lacs Silver and it looks a bit unfinished.

Quote Originally Posted by uk525
    not what you want to hear...the gromit you have is the correct one for an M5, however yours isnt an M5

the parts diagram clearly shows different numbers for the lock on an m5, compaired with say a 525

...if its any consolation - i also have this problem! but i cut mine slightly and it now fits...but im always pushing it back on as it falls of when you press the button!

yes the extra space is filled with the piece that you have, but as you dont have the correct locks it wont fit over the cylinder properly

Default Update!!

I’m working on it!
    Sort of got part 22 to fit but its not right!

Will keep you posted!

Quote Originally Posted by 525SEI BRIT
    All M5 owners Please help!

I have bought the M5 infill plate for the rear number plate (3 months ago actually) but haven’t fitted it yet because I can’t locate the correct boot (trunk) lock surround. I got the part suggested on the forum #51 24 2 230 4311 it doesn’t fit way to small! The dealers are useless as usual when it comes to cars this old and nobody else knows. I’ve trawled the ETK and cant find it so I was hoping somebody here might have some new info to help or has anyone got an M5 with this part, and can let us know the correct part number. I’m sure it would be of help to loads of us in the same predicament.
    Thanks in advance

Pics coming soon as I get 5 minutes break from uni, nothing special but I love it!

what about getting an M5 lock and swapping the pins over so ur key will work?
    Haynes - "Fitting is Reversal of Removal"