GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan Clutch Removal Question

Default Fan Clutch Removal Question

Anyone have any creative ideas for preventing the water pump pulley from spinning while attempting to remove the fan clutch?
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

A couple of methods I've used...one is to put the wrench on the fan clutch nut, then whack it with a hammer (Make sure you hit CLOCKWISE- the threads are reverse from "normal"). Try this 3-4 times and it might work.

If that doesn't work, you can try wedging a thin, long bladed screwdriver in between 2 of the bolt heads that hold the pulley to the water pump- the fan clutch wrench can actually be used to help keep the screwdriver blade from slipping off. You should be able to get enough leverage with one of these methods- though I've had some stuck SOOO tight I didn't think they were ever gonna come loose. If you get one of these, try soaking with PB Blaster or some other quality solvent overnight, then go at it again.

Bret.

Default you need to buy one of my...

patented Bidoli Fan Removal Tools

I tried the old vice grip tricks and found out the pulley is made of plastic.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Mine is hole on the other side... easy to make with a piece of steel from Home Depot. This tool is a must have item... it makes a world of difference taking the fan clutch out.

I think I read somewhere that the Ford fan clutch removal tool (which I think I can borrow from Autozone) would work. Do you happen to know if it will?
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

My main problem was finding a wrench narrow enough to get in there - I ended up using a pair of adjustable-joint pliers and a couple sharp taps from a hammer to break it loose.

Not exactly the prettiest way of getting it done, but it worked fine.

i like mine better

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    patented Bidoli Fan Removal Tools

I tried the old vice grip tricks and found out the pulley is made of plastic.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Try one of them belt type wrenches from sears,

I heard that one after I patented my special tool.

Winfreds special tool dont work cause its left handed.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I never got two holes to line up with the bolts... I thought it was a POS... so I made my own to hold one hole and brace it against the other bolt... I guess that is the way to do it.

I second Rigmaster's solutions. I have used both and usually do the screw driver because I kinda like having my hands in one piece. I suppose that if I removed the fan clutch more than once per year then I would buy a BMW tool. But the screwdriver usually works within a couple whacks for me. Don't forget that the clutch is reverse threaded (righty loosey, lefty tighty). And this way is much cheaper

Best,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast