GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Smoke from under the heater valve

Default Smoke from under the heater valve

when i turn the heat on i get a nasty burnt plastic/coolant smell from the vents then my car proceeds to blow massive amounts of smoke from below the heater valve. When i turn the heat off the smoke stops. ive taken a look and the hoses look fine but the round black duehicky under the valve looks corroded. so i have 2 questions....how much is this gonna cost me? and would it be safe to continue to drive (without using the heat of course)?

thanks guys
    90 525
    200,145 miles
    m20 engine

I had exactly the same thing. My auxillary water pump had seized up, burning up when it was on, the plastic housing had also melted. I just unplugged the connection to the water pump, never had any proplems with lack of heat at idle. The pump is quite expensive for a part that's not really needed unless you live somewhere really cold and sit at idle for long periods of time.

thanks that sounds like a good suggestion...how do i get to the pump, do i have to take off the heater valves or can i reach the connection with no disassembly....has anyone else done this ? i really dont mind not having heat at idle.... is there anything else i should know b4 i start unplugging stuff

you remove the pump and valves as a unit then take the valve off of the assembly, some cars wirk without the pump others don't make heat wirth a damn, i think it depends on the engine on if theres decent coolent flow and pressure to the core

Quote Originally Posted by Al from jersey
    thanks that sounds like a good suggestion...how do i get to the pump, do i have to take off the heater valves or can i reach the connection with no disassembly....has anyone else done this ? i really dont mind not having heat at idle.... is there anything else i should know b4 i start unplugging stuff
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I replaced my aux. pump, but I live in MN and want heat most of the time...I think there is a good write-up on Bruno's site for the heater valve replacement which would help you with your aux. pump replacement, if you're going to do it.

Al, PM me as I have a Hella pump sitting on mu desk as we speak. The plastic impeller housing inlet is broken (see pic below, hence why I bought a new one from BMA) but if your inlet is still good then you only need to replace the motor (which still works on mine) and remove the inlet housing from your unit and place it on this working pump. This would be a lot cheaper than going out and buying a new unit...lemme know if your interested.

Cheers,
    Duey
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery