GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Suspension advice needed on SACHS sport kit

Default Help! Suspension advice needed on SACHS sport kit

Hi guys -

I called up BavAuto today to find out what shock they recommend using with their springs. Of course, they told me "Bilstein Sport".

Now - I'd read up on this and mentioned to the guy I spoke with - Ian - that apparently people were having to cut the internal bump stop to get it working correctly.

He assured me that this was not the case, as the internal bump stop was under pressure, and therefore not serviceable. He then went on to tell me that the bilsteins wouldn't bottom out (I'd all but stopped listening at that point...)

I'm also concerned that the springs dropped the car TOO low - there doesn't seem to be enough room to put on a set of 17's as planned. The 225/60/15's look to just barely clear it - how am I going to run a 235/45/17 without destroying the fenders on a bump?

Hence the dilemma: I called up my newfound friend at BMA (aka Patrick) to get a quote on the koni's to make all of this work. About $650 plus shipping...someone on eBay's offering the set for about $530 out the door if I recall. He mentioned the Sachs kit, out the door for $640, and I've read tons about it on the board, everybody likes it, etc. Patrick said that the sachs drops the car 1.8" in front...if the BavAuto's do ~ 1.2", will this thing even get over a bump with it on? Anybody got pictures of this kit on while running 17's that I can viddy?

What would you do:

1) Should I remove the new, never ridden on, but now 1 month old BavAuto springs (and hence can't be returned), take the L and buy the Sachs kit,
    2) Try to run the current OEM Boges for a while....see what happens,
    3) Buy the koni's and run them with the BavAuto springs....

whit LOWELL

Oh yeah! And an electrical question: I discovered that the reason my battery keeps on draining itself is because the EML in the dash doesn't seem to turn off when the doors are closed. I've got the Bentley manual, but am not sure how to go about troubleshooting this one. Anyone got any ideas on where to look? Will it turn off when I reset the service indicator?

Default if the rims arent offset it shouldnt hit the fender,

the Bilstein sports have an internal bumpstop, you pitch the stocker. The OLD Bilstein struts were dissasembleable (no clue) but the new ones arent. The Bav auto springs shouldnt sit too low unless you have the V8 and offset rims, if you want about another 1/2 inch of height go with Eibach or H & R springs. The tire height of the 17s should be the same diameter as the 15s so that shouldnt be an issue.

I dont know much about the Sachs kit.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks, Jeff. I always appreciate your help. I'm as nervous as a whore in church with these wheels, although I think I've got it right this time - Miglia MM11-2 from an e39 with hubcentric rings to offset the 74mm vs 72mm uh...hubs...

I guess the BMA guy wasn't BSing me...but what's the deal, then, with all of the stuff that these other guys are talking about with the bump stops and bottoming out? I'm not looking forward to spending a month in Cleveland with this car....pothole city...ugh.

whit LOWELL

Default your car will bottom the shocks out on big bumps,

par for the course. I live off the main drag 1 mile, pure hell, dirt and mud...it's like driving through vietnam during bombing drills and the bavauto springs would botton constantly. Then I upgraded (?) to the Eibach springs (H & R were backordered at the time) I did gain about a 1/2 inch of travel which at least in my mind made things a bit better. It still bottoms the shocks when the dirt road gets bad but in regular driving conditions I never really had a problem with either set of springs. I did notice that the rear sits a bit higher than the Bavautos but thats about it. On freeway if theres a big change of road height I can feel it bottom, kinda gets real stiff on its way up but nothing that is too drastic.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Here's a pic w/ 17's right after I installed my Sachs Kit.

Two things to note would be I also installed a K-Mac adjustable front camber kit which added about 3/8", but used the 3mm front spring pads. Since then I think both the front and the rear have both settled in a bit so the whole car is sitting a little lower than in this pic. So far, I haven't bottomed out or scraped on anything and the roads and interfaces are not great here, so... so far so good.
    The ride quality is great imo and I haven't ever read of anyone being disappointed with this setup.
    Regarding your situation, since your springs are already on the car I'd run it for a while and see if you love it or hate it.
    Hth.

* BMA = BavAuto. BMA rocks my tubesocks

* "BMA" should read BavAuto. BMA rocks my tubesocks

Default are you saying BMA or BAV rocks??

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    * "BMA" should read BavAuto. BMA rocks my tubesocks
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Default mine sits lower than that... a lot lower with either set of springs.

looks good though! I'm still not sure I like them 17's yet...might take some time for me.

lol
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast