GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowered car - height issues

Default Lowered car - height issues

Hey guys,

I lowered my car using H&R springs and Bilstein shocks.
    I did this on Friday and have driven about 160 miles on them. They appear to have lowered the car a small amount. The driver's side came down 1.5" and the passenger side came down .75" I double checked the work and both sides were assembled in the same exact way.

What could affect the height like this? The rears went together and are the same height, but not the front.

Thanks!

I had this problem when installing the dreaded BAVAUTO springs a few weeks ago. I changed two things about my setup which appear to have fixed the problem: 1) I'd installed the spring backwards in the strut assembly, 2) when reinstalling the first time, I loosened the lower and upper control arms to get the steering plate positioned under the strut housing - when I retorqued it, I loaded the front driver's side too much (don't ask), and it caused it to sink about 1 inch as compared to the passenger's. This problem was exacerbated by the fact that my driver's side tires had about 15psi in them, versus the 35psi on the pass side.

Upon retorq'in everything, I got it back to a level ride height. Now it hugs the pavement. Sweet. Hope I don't hit any potholes

Did you replace the strut mounts while you were at it? Also, if you left out a piece of hardware - ie, one of those plates that goes over the strut insert shaft, that might be knocking that side down a bit.

LOWELL

Thanks a bunch for the ideas.
    Maybe the spring is in wrong, They both have "H&R" printed and upright, but maybe I'll switch one upside down and see if they match.
    I didnt mess with control arms so hopefully it's nothing there.
    Mounts are new too.

Thanks again

Default Chances are that the thrust and control arms...

werent torques correctly when installed previously. Put the car up on ramps, loosen and re torque the big end of all the arms. If the printing is the right way then the springs ar in correctly, did you make sure the spring ends were rotated against the stops after tightening the top strut nuts? That also could cause the height issue.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I just realized that I installed part #3 upside down on both sides. There is also a 1/4" thick washer beneath it that was not on the stock shock. Do any of these things effect ride height at all? I would think not, but just double checking as I didnt even get the claimed 1.3" drop, it's a hair under. Most people ended up with more.

Default you DID remove the stock bumpstops right?

you are using the bilstein sport shocks too? If your not running the sports then you have to cut the stock bumpstops in half...or something like that.

The 1/4 inch spacer is needed for that big washer to be in the right position on them shocks, looks like you have the sport shocks. If so remove #9, 10 & 11 as they are unnecessary.
    Last edited by 632 Regal; 12-06-2004 at 05:50 PM.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ah, part 11, I dont even have - never did.
    They are actually not the sports, they are the tourings. The sports were a little too stiff for me.

The bumpstop is trimmed, but not by half. Either way, it still has play even when the car is sitting so it's not resting on them. The only thing that I can think of that I did wrong is that part #3 is upside down.

I'll have to check it out some more. Thanks for the help so far

I'm back -
    I redid the entire front and carefully placed everything the proper direction AND identical on both sides. The other side is still higher!

I guess I'll check those bolt torques someone mentioned, but aside from that are there any other ideas?
    how often are springs defective???
    Thanks!

What kind of bilsteins are you using and are they new? When you jack the car up, do both lh & rh assemblies have the same extension length?

I'm still thinking it's the torquing issues on the control and thrust arms. When this happened to me, I retorqued everything and it leveled out great!

best of luck

whit LOWELL

They are bilstein tourings. I'll go measure in a little bit the full extension height and retorque the arms. (Although I've never undone them, maybe they were replaced at one time.)

I'll let you guys know how it goes

THanks for the tips

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast