GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Sort of OT regarding slotted brake rotors

Default Sort of OT regarding slotted brake rotors

So I'm picking out new brake rotors and pads for Daddy's Eclipse. I've been reading a few of the eclipse forums, but then I came here to talk to people that knew something about cars.

I've been told that a ceramic pad tends to wear harder on a slotted or cross drilled rotor. Oddly, the reason for buying a slotted rotor in the first place isnt for performance, its that its cheaper than the dealer's rotor, and all AutoZone has is their 'ValuCraft' garbage, which I'm not putting on.

Does anyone know if this is true? I would think that if I bought the EBC Slotted rotors with EBC GreenStuff Pads that they would work well together, but I don't want to put something on my father's car thats going to wear out in a few months.

Supposedly his wife that drives the car really DRIVES the car, so I dont think that performance brake pads will go unused.

Does anyone else have any other recommendations?
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Slotted rotors are only slightly less unnecessary than cross drilled ones. Save your money and get the plain ones, they will last longer.

Slotted rotors will wear your pads faster since they tend to cut into the pads a little bit.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

Well, that WAS the problem- that the slotted rotors were CHEAPER than the regulars, until I just found some Brembo replacement rotors for $67 each, so I might go with those. For pads, I think I'm going to put on some Axxis Metal Master pads and be done with it.

In the pure (non-fashionable) sense, slotted rotors are designed to exhaust gases developed from the pad material during extreme braking. We're talking pretty extreme and repretative, like tracking...the gases would otherwise interfere with full contact of the pad onto the rotor. On standard brakes, a lot of the heat is absorbed into the hub (greatest mass), this is why the M5 ducts direct cool air into the brake hub area...not onto the rotor, per se.

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Default FWIW, on my 525ia I've got standard BREMBO...

front disks w/PBR Metal Masters and love them. Pretty low dust, great stopping. (I'm guessing PBR is the same as Axxis?).

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski
    Well, that WAS the problem- that the slotted rotors were CHEAPER than the regulars, until I just found some Brembo replacement rotors for $67 each, so I might go with those. For pads, I think I'm going to put on some Axxis Metal Master pads and be done with it.

PBR is Axxis which used to be REPCO, I think. I'm just concerned with the opinions I've heard that kevlar or ceramic pads chew up the rotors more, especially more with slotted rotors, but who knows if they have any truth to them. I suppose it really doesn't matter considering that my dad isn't even going to keep the car long enough to wear out the brakes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT
    In the pure (non-fashionable) sense, slotted rotors are designed to exhaust gases developed from the pad material during extreme braking. We're talking pretty extreme and repretative, like tracking...the gases would otherwise interfere with full contact of the pad onto the rotor.
    That's true, but modern pads don't outgas like pads in the past.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

i've got a good 50k miles on the pbr organics and the ate power discs that were installed together on my 90 325ism and it gets DRIVEN, it stops better then any other non m3 e30 i've driven, with the wrong pads (ie el-cheepo) a e30s brakes suck. i have seen a decent improvment in performance and feel with the installation of ate power discs on many different cars, several of them mine 90 325ism, 90 535ia, 84 240 volvo turbo, 88 760 volvo turbo and i would of installed them on my 83 rx7 gsl and 75 240d mercedes if i knew about them, and i just didn't give a **** about my 87 300sdl mercedes i wanted to sell it before something expensive and diffacult to replace broke and only drove it about 15k in 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    Slotted rotors are only slightly less unnecessary than cross drilled ones. Save your money and get the plain ones, they will last longer.

Slotted rotors will wear your pads faster since they tend to cut into the pads a little bit.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it