GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a heater valve filter?

Default is there a heater valve filter?

was condomplating some sealant (shhhh) to stop the cool blue smell and fogging of the windshield. If there is some sort of filter than I obviously wont condone such an atrocity. Duey never came over to change my heater core out.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Can you bypass the valve somehow just long enough to put the sealant in then change fluid and see if it works? Didn't Ryan work out some sort of bypass, but, I think his was to keep fluid out of the heater core during the warm months...

two or three hose pincher's outta bung it up without destroying anything

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    was condomplating some sealant (shhhh) to stop the cool blue smell and fogging of the windshield. If there is some sort of filter than I obviously wont condone such an atrocity. Duey never came over to change my heater core out.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

or get a heater hose T and connect all 3 lines together
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default and use what for heat?? Its cold here mann!

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    or get a heater hose T and connect all 3 lines together
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

well if you want heat without fogged windows ya gotta get dirty, it aint that bad for me but i have completely torn down my 535 and rebuilt it from the fire damage it had when i got it, it may be a tad much for somebody in a driveway and a real job to go to the most of the week

Default whats a guestimate of time/difficulty?

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    well if you want heat without fogged windows ya gotta get dirty, it aint that bad for me but i have completely torn down my 535 and rebuilt it from the fire damage it had when i got it, it may be a tad much for somebody in a driveway and a real job to go to the most of the week
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

If you're talking about changing the heater core I have the same problem.

According to Bruno, the job takes about a full day+ to get done and involves removal of the console and the lower dash. Some guy removed the whole dash on one site I saw.

This is a real toss up... can you live with the fog/smell or can you handle the pain. I just hate working on the interior (I'm 6'5" / 260) and I just know that some clip is gonna break or a screw is gonna get lost.

The one thing I'm worried about is breathing in that toxic coolant. It can't be good for us.

If anyone has an alternative fix for this without removing the unit I would love to hear it.

I was wondering if the inlet / outlet hoses could be disconnected from the system temporarily (Like a bypass) but then fill the system and then have a stop-leak type additive put in? Dreaming again I'm sure....
    01 740i sport
    92 535i
    92 525 touring
    88 325ic

a good days work for me, but that's gutting the car from the seats forward on a e32 (last one i did), i am not sure if theres any worthy short cuts that won't bite you in the ass, i've not gone into a e34 just to do the heater core yet, i think it'd be easyer then a e32

not saying this will work for everybody or that it is a good idea.

But I let an experanced technician who i trusted run sealant through my coolant system in an attempt to fix a leaky heatercore (only signs were foggy window on driver side)
    its not a 100% fixed, but i have no fog spot anymore and no smell of coolant when the heater is on so Im happy.

I think the book says around 14 hours for heater core R & R ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast