GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: CD Changer question

Default CD Changer question

My '90 535i doesn't have a CD changer installed, but has the prewired cables (one is round and blue and the other is a small rectangular plug). I know this topic has been done to death, but, I am wondering if there is only very specific units that would "plug and play" for my car? I hate to have to cut wires/solder and all that stuff, if I don't have to.
    Also, how does one control the changer when it is installed, is it done with the radio controls or ? I don't have the radio manual for my car.

Quote Originally Posted by JonE
    Also, how does one control the changer when it is installed, is it done with the radio controls or ? I don't have the radio manual for my car.
    Yes, you are limited to using only a few of the BMW CD changers or possibly the Pioneer CD MX30 if you want to use the pre-installed cables. If you want to go aftermarket...you'll have to run new cables/wires. Having a pre-1991 model also limits the BMW units available. (sorry) For more info, try searching the archives here or over on roadfly.org...this is about the breadth of my knowledge.

The BMW 6 disk trunk mounted changer is controlled by the BMW radio. You select the changer by pushing the BAND button...this will allow you to scroll thru AM/FM/CD. The PROG button allows you to choose RND (random) which will select tracks randomly from up to 6 CDs inserted in the CD magazine.

(this is the radio from my 95 525iT...pre-91 models may look slightly different)
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Thanks for the input Q, unfortunately my radio doesn't look like your pic, thus, no prog button, but there must be some other way that my particular radio controls a changer. Is that radio you pictured a Pioneer or an Alpine?
    Anyone else out there with more information? Thanks in advance.
    Jon

a 89-90 e34 should look like this one

if so a cdx-m30 and cdx-m6 which are aftermarket pioneer changers will definatly plug into the radio (using the data cable that comes with the changer, i have two cars one using each changer and this head unit) i like the m30 best and it's the most common and easy to find, a couple years ago i found a place on the net selling new m30s for $280 should be able to do less then half that on a ebay'd unit

Quote Originally Posted by JonE
    Thanks for the input Q, unfortunately my radio doesn't look like your pic, thus, no prog button, but there must be some other way that my particular radio controls a changer. Is that radio you pictured a Pioneer or an Alpine?
    Anyone else out there with more information? Thanks in advance.
    Jon
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

thanks Winfred, that's the radio I've got. Anyone know which BMW CD changers will work? There's a guy selling one that has a model # TR1003 with part # 82 11 1 468 014 but don't want to buy it unless it plugs and plays. I guess I might call the dealer to see if it will work.