GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Ain't That Easy!

Default Ain't That Easy!

has anyone on the board tried installing the 540 brake ducts ? i just finished putting them on my 89' 525i and they are definitely a B#@CH . i used the section on this site for the install. bought the ducts and brackets from the dealer and went to work as per the site directions. if anyone tries this , just be warned that i had to also cut the new ducts and brackets or i would not be able to re-install the factory fog light bracket. my car is a grey market car , so i don't know if that made a difference (which i don't think it should). never the less , it looks good, so i guess it's worth it, but you could not pay me to do it again.just a little f.y.i. oh yeah use the first cut, as described by the author as it leaves the notches for the spring loaded plate. the second cut pictured will leave a gap between the ducts and the plate. . just trying to give some heads up for anyone trying to make this upgrade.

thats another option that I can live without. I dont track mine and dont need that horseplay.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

or do like i did and atach them to the bottom of the regular spoiler, and fill the space between the ducts with a piece cut from a wrecked bumper
    just the ducts in this pic

and finished in these

i didn't want to chop up my bumper just to have a stock 540 bumper, and it's pretty strong as i've grounded it hard enough to pack the duct solid with dirt without breaking it
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default looks good

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    or do like i did and atach them to the bottom of the regular spoiler, and fill the space between the ducts with a piece cut from a wrecked bumper
    just the ducts in this pic

and finished in these

i didn't want to chop up my bumper just to have a stock 540 bumper, and it's pretty strong as i've grounded it hard enough to pack the duct solid with dirt without breaking it
    that looks real good! actually , i was going to do that at first, but my car has been lowered and it scrapes sometimes going into the driveway already, so i knew if i put them underneath that i would not have them long.

where is this procedure? i love those brake ducts. but cutting up my bumper seems scary.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

i just screwed the ducts to the bottom of the bumper (drilled holes and used sheet metal clips) the filler between them is made from the same part of the bumper that it's screwed to, i sawed that part out of a broken bumper and trimed it to fit between the ducts and screwed it on. my car has stock springs so i have plenty of clearence for all but the highest parking spot oil pan smasher (i learned to stay away from those from owning a e30 325, the oil pan on those is known as the curb feeler) and steep driveway
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    where is this procedure? i love those brake ducts. but cutting up my bumper seems scary.
    the procedure is in the home page of this site under upgrades- 540 brake ducts. (www.bmwe34.net) it is a royal p.i.t.a. (though worth it)

ahh, yes, it is. i wish those pictures were more detailed.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip