GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 525ia battery issues. How many amps?

Default 525ia battery issues. How many amps?

I just drew a lot of power from my battery due to a flooded eninge. also got the trans msg after it started b/c the battery was so low.

I was just wondering how many amps you guys read from the obc hidden features. http://home.iae.nl/users/bts/obc.htm test #6

After charging. I get a reading of 50.5Amp. Not sure if the battery is fully charged though. I notice the manual says battery specs are supposed to be
    75Ah and 12V. Since I don't have a battery load tester, i was hoping some you guys could give me some info for comparison since the reading from the OBC could be doubtful.

thanks,

btw, I also did a deep cycle charge instead of a regular charge. I didn't know there was a difference until I got my grubby hands on that charger my buddy lent me. dang! I hope it doesn't damage the battery. Any input on the difference guys?

Quote Originally Posted by chapmanw
    I just drew a lot of power from my battery due to a flooded eninge. also got the trans msg after it started b/c the battery was so low.

I was just wondering how many amps you guys read from the obc hidden features. http://home.iae.nl/users/bts/obc.htm test #6

After charging. I get a reading of 50.5Amp. Not sure if the battery is fully charged though. I notice the manual says battery specs are supposed to be
    75Ah and 12V. Since I don't have a battery load tester, i was hoping some you guys could give me some info for comparison since the reading from the OBC could be doubtful.

thanks,

netmgr Guest

i was under the impression deep cycling car batteries wasnt a good idea..

Default a slow trickle charge is good, as long as...

you dont over charge it then it will wipe the battery clean.

I use a cool one called Battery Tender which don't overcharge and you can leave it on all winter to keep it conditioned and crap. It dont do a huge amp quick charge but I have went from dead to start in about 40 minutes or so. I'm sure there are different kinds of these now but when I was shopping this was pretty much the only choice for an advanced charger.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

you might want to do a TEST # 9 while the engine is at rest...this will allow you to see the battery's voltage. At rest, it should read 12v or above...if it registers 10V~11.9...the battery is too low and is dying.

what type of 525 do you have...is it an e12, e28, e34, or e39?
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

I ran outside to do a test with the engine off, it came out as 0.08 Kinda funny. Also 0 amps at rest

But while running, it's usually in the low 14 volt range and 50 amp range. What do you normally get?

btw, it's an e34

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    you might want to do a TEST # 9 while the engine is at rest...this will allow you to see the battery's voltage. At rest, it should read 12v or above...if it registers 10V~11.9...the battery is too low and is dying.

what type of 525 do you have...is it an e12, e28, e34, or e39?

doing a TEST #9 ( (not TEST #6)...engine at rest should register 12v or above...w/engine running it usually is 13-13.5v or above. ( I believe the display shows the volts as "ub" ... example 12ub for 12 volts)

Again, if your battery is showing 10~11.9 volts at rest...you need to get a new battery...like today. 8-) AutoZone's Duralast 49D battery is about the best price in town ($69)...or Interstate Battery (MTP-93 or MTP-91)....or the Douglas BAT95R6 or BAT 94R6 battery sold by Batteries Plus..which is the OEM mfg for the BMW battery. Instead of being white with a BMW sticker...the battery is black. 8-)
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

thanks for the battery recommendations. especially the oem mfg.

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    doing a TEST #9 ( (not TEST #6)...engine at rest should register 12v or above...w/engine running it usually is 13-13.5v or above. ( I believe the display shows the volts as "ub" ... example 12ub for 12 volts)

Again, if your battery is showing 10~11.9 volts at rest...you need to get a new battery...like today. 8-) AutoZone's Duralast 49D battery is about the best price in town ($69)...or Interstate Battery (MTP-93 or MTP-91)....or the Douglas BAT95R6 or BAT 94R6 battery sold by Batteries Plus..which is the OEM mfg for the BMW battery. Instead of being white with a BMW sticker...the battery is black. 8-)