GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: over cooling?

Default over cooling?

i dont know if this is even a problem, or is just caused by my commute.

my morning commute consists of 22 miles of freeway. the car has maybe 5 minuets before getting on that freeway. when i first start it, the car will slowly warm up. but lately i've noticed that after 22 miles of going 70-90mph, the temperature is only 1/4 the way up. as soon as i get off the freeway and go up a big hill, it slowly climbs up to the normal posistion and is at the halfway mark by the time i park. does anybody find it weird that the temperature gauge wont move up until i am off the freeway? do i possibly have a stuck gauge? or a bad temperature sensor? or is it just the commute?

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Default probably a bad thermostat, change it right away!

A cold engine is almost as bad as an overheated one except that the engine will wear out 200x as fast. Do the thermo first then go to sensors because OF the long commute you drive.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I would guess its a slightly stuck open thermostat.

Default Exactly...might be the thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan_525i
    I would guess its a slightly stuck open thermostat.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Mine does the same thing as yours and i drive in the morning 10 minutes and then the highway. In the highway it always goes in a little bit more than 1/4 mark (but realy a little) and in the city between 1/4 and 1/2. But the point is that i have changed the thermostat a while ago.
    Should i check the sensors?
    pd: a while back the water got mixed with oil. Would that damage the sensors?

Mine has started doing the same thing, I'm guessing it's a stuck open thermostat. It's not good to drive around with the engine too cool, so if you can't get to the thermostat right away you might think about blocking part of the radiator with something like a piece of cardboard. Seeing as how I'm booked pretty much the rest of this month, that's what I am going to do if it gets any colder here.

Note: If you damage your engine doing that don't blame me- do it at your own risk.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

how much does it cost to check/ change the thermostat? where is it even located? (yes, im mechanically un-inclined =,( )

could it also be the oil weight? im using 20w50 conventional.

god, i was hoping it wasnt anything big.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

oh yea, one more thing. if i get it warmed up to normal temps. im okay to go right? i have a planned drive for the 18th, and do not want to miss it incase i cant changed the t-stat in time.

www.KaRealtySF.com

I have the same deal goin on too (jeez, must be catchy). On the parts sites that I have looked, it appears there is only one t-stat recommended for 530i. Does anyone know if there are variations in t-stat depending on climate, or shoud we just change it out to the standard model and then go to sensors? Thanks in advance for any info here.
    1994 530i

Default 530's easy to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Renman
    I have the same deal goin on too (jeez, must be catchy). On the parts sites that I have looked, it appears there is only one t-stat recommended for 530i. Does anyone know if there are variations in t-stat depending on climate, or shoud we just change it out to the standard model and then go to sensors? Thanks in advance for any info here.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast