GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: grr....crash

Default grr....crash

So my E34 got hurt....luckily I didn't.

I was out with some friends for a nice Sunday drive in some back roads of Virginia. It was me following an RX-7 and a Porsche Boxster. We were driving on a secluded road, the posted signs said 25 mph for most of the way. These roads were very nice, twisty and curvy, however I wasn't familiar with them. Needless to say, I was going probably an average of about 40 mph on this road. Suddenly we all approached this normal looking curve, the porsche took it fine and so did the RX-7. But what I didnt see what a rather large dip right at the apex of the turn. Apparently, my back end didnt like this so much because the next think I know, my car is going into a drift. Tried to compensate, nothing happpened. Tried to brake, nothing happened. The only thing I didnt think to do for some reason was to pull the e-brake. I happened pretty quickly, but my car skidded about 90 feet from the apex and my car became very good friends with a hill and a small tree. The entire front air dam is gone, and the driver's side fender is mashed in. My windshield was cracked and my brakes felt funny afterward. The car ran, but I got it towed for fear of something being broken. Anyway, I'm looking at about $3-4k in damage to my car. The roads were completely dry, but I need to be smarter about driving on unfamiliar roads. I dont understand why something like this would happen, is it the sheer weight of the car? Especially with an upgraded suspension. The porsche and rx-7 did fine. I'm mad at myself but I suppose it serves as a lesson.

BMW Driving school here I come...

-Bobby

Glad to hear you're alright. I had a similar experience when i bought my 5. took a turn too hot and ended up in a ditch, minus a rear bumper cover. (thanks Scott E. for teh replacement)
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

There is a fine line between the Ultimate Driving Experience and loss of control. Lets just say you had the cahones to approach the line up to the edge and see what your car could do. What road in Virginia? I am in Reston. Your 5 will be okay when you are done fixing her. - Jt
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Yea it was weird I didnt expect my car to behave in the way it did...

I was on Hampton Road in the Lorton/Clifton area off of Ox Road.

The police drove by and they were joking around with me, apparently saying that accidents in that area were not uncommon.

There are a couple of roads out here in Great Falls that are similar to Clifton. The cops are patently unsympathetic. We need to do a drivers school out at Summit Point this spring! Would you be up? - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Most definitely, I am there. I know some other bimmer drivers that are good for it too. Yea, I was surprised, Fairfax County police are usually not very friendly.