GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: keyless entry remote

Default keyless entry remote

i have a 94 525i that i bought without a remote for the keyless entry system. i need to know which type i need. also, i have a problem that periodically there is a strong smell of gasoline in the passenger compartment, not exhaust fumes but gas fumes, any ideas?

most likely you need a system 3 remote.
    Haynes - "Fitting is Reversal of Removal"

The remote you need, if the alarm system is the original BMW one, is a three button remote that is seperate from the key. You can probably get this from the dealer, and program it for your car. The manual for the alarm system tells you exactly how to pair the new remote and the system on your car; you could also do a search of the forums and find the instructions, I have seen them here before.

I also have the gas smell problem, but it only seems to happen when it is really chilly out. I wonder if the car is running super rich in the cold? If you find something out, let me know. Thanks!

Regarding the remote.

I recently bought one off of fleabay.
    Some here

To program, remove the rear seat, unscrew the alarm black box and flip it over. Don't unplug it. Remove the cover.

Now open up the remote take out the chip and plug it in the alarm and press the reset button. The red led will blink twice to acknowledge the program. Reassembly and you're good to go.

These instructions are also in the manual.

How far back does that ability go? Would love to be able to do that with my '91. What does the alarm box look like exactly? I've had the seat out and there appears to be a few "black boxes" around the battery.

I'd much rather go with a factory remote than an aftermarket and it's getting into the rainy season here so keyless entry is pretty attractive.
    1992 535i TCD-s2

As far as I know, you can do that with all the original alarms. Pop your backseat up and look at the boxes, the alarm is very clearly labeled. If you do have an alarm, just get the remote from ebay or the stealer and follow the reprogram directions. You should be in business!