GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chip replacement gone wrong, warning to newbies

Default chip replacement....

Well, supposivly the chip is to pull out with a little force....Wrong! It's soderd in there. I found out after trying to get my chip out and it shattered. Now I'm here with the prongs still in it and can't put my new chip in. I'm pissed!

netmgr Guest

Default opps

well uve buggered that up unless ur a wizz with the soldering iorn...id buy yourself a new ecu

prob best second hand unless u have a few hundred dollars lying around

netmgr Guest

Default sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000_eyez
    Well, supposivly the chip is to pull out with a little force....Wrong! It's soderd in there. I found out after trying to get my chip out and it shattered. Now I'm here with the prongs still in it and can't put my new chip in. I'm pissed!
    sorry i just had to say this I couldnt stop myself...

you prised the chip out of the board and when you felt resistence you prised on it with even more pressure till it shattered....not to mention that it should be obvious to even an untrained eye wether a chip is soldered in or in a socket.

and before you all start saying...were not all electrical engineers...i say to this...then what are you doing opening up the main computer for you car and attacking it for...

you should be able to take it to a good television repair shop and have them get the prongs out and the new chip in for you. Probably inexpensive too, Personaly I wouldnt attempt it myself because as good as I am...they are better.

hope you didnt need to drive it right after the replacement.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I want to drive my car....

well, everywhere I read it doesn't say anything about it being soderd. Should be stated somewhere it might be soderd. It was the ECU #261 200 179. I am right now trying to get a solder sucker to get the prongs out. I don't think it will be to difficult. Nothing wrecked except the old chip. If anything I will take your advise and have it done professionally. Thanks.

Default Mark should know off the top of his head, email him and see what he thinks.

well, everywhere I read it doesn't say anything about it being soderd. Should be stated somewhere it might be soderd. It was the ECU #261 200 179. I am right now trying to get a solder sucker to get the prongs out. I don't think it will be to difficult. Nothing wrecked except the old chip. If anything I will take your advise and have it done professionally. Thanks.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Honestly, it sounds like you pried out the wrong chip...there are a couple that look like the performance eprom chip on the single board design.

Let me guess, you have an older 5 series that has only a single board and not one that splits open into halves.

I'm just guessing here, but if you look closely, the performance chip you seek is underneath a black plastic cover the same size as the chip. It simply pops off, revealing the un-soldered chip underneath.

It helps when you tell us what kind of car you have.

Jr

netmgr Guest

unlikely he pulled the wrong chip, if you think about it he would have pulled the one that looked like the one he was putting in wouldnt he and theres only one of those

and anyhow the 261 200 179 board did have some soldered in ones, and also the cover isnt always black mines white...

Default I'll have to wait till after turkey day to fix...

The chip that was in there had a silver sticker on top with #1 267 356 460. Has anyone had a soderd chip in there ecu?

Default They should not be soldered, but there is no guaranteed protection

against stupid stuff that previous owners can do. This, I suspect, is one of those cases.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast