GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Warning Symbol

Default Battery Warning Symbol

When I turn the ignition key to on all warning symbols light up. While the car is cranking the battery symbols light goes out. When the car is running the battery symbol light is off as well but when I turn the car off the symbol stays lit (and stays lit indefinitely.) Later this evening I will troubleshoot the electrical system with my DMM. Any ideas for me to take home?

Default Hector, its almost always the

diode plate in the alternator. A bad diode allows current to flow in the opposite direction throught the light to ground lighting the light. Frequently its cheaper to get a rebuilt alternator than to find a diode plate for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    When I turn the ignition key to on all warning symbols light up. While the car is cranking the battery symbols light goes out. When the car is running the battery symbol light is off as well but when I turn the car off the symbol stays lit (and stays lit indefinitely.) Later this evening I will troubleshoot the electrical system with my DMM. Any ideas for me to take home?

Default Thanks much Bill.

I will see what I can do about whether I should buy the diode plate or not.

Hope you had a good time off, and were able to usher many lost souls to the good side :o)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    diode plate in the alternator. A bad diode allows current to flow in the opposite direction throught the light to ground lighting the light. Frequently its cheaper to get a rebuilt alternator than to find a diode plate for it.

Default Which manual is this info from

I'd like to see the page it refers to as I am having the same problem.

Default Eugene, the problem was solved after...

I installed a remanufactured alternator. The warning light didn't come on anymore after the engine was turned off. I thought about repairing the diode plate but opted against it because the alt was the original one so I didn't want to repair the diode plate and then have something else go bad like the voltage regulator or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius
    I'd like to see the page it refers to as I am having the same problem.

Default Good Idea

that sounds like the best plan of attack. just so i know what to expect how much was the remanufactored alternator?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius
    that sounds like the best plan of attack. just so i know what to expect how much was the remanufactored alternator?
    I went with a brand new one from BMA, Bosch OEM alternator, i think it was like $175

Default I paid about $14 more for a Bosch alt with core trade-in...

from the same place Jon mentioned. If you have a '90 m30, get the 145 A alt because my impression was that there are also 115 and 90 A alternators available after speaking with BMA.

Default Better check again, I don't think you can find a new one

anywhere for 175, thats a bosch reman. If you check with bma thats what you'll find.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    I went with a brand new one from BMA, Bosch OEM alternator, i think it was like $175

Default are all the alternators interchangeable relating to amperes?

anywhere for 175, thats a bosch reman. If you check with bma thats what you'll find.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast