GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: battery??

Default battery??

I spent a good part of the afternoon cleaning out the interior, probably about 3 hours total.

During that time at least one door was open (so the main dome light was on), I also had the radio on the entire time.... I was also moving the power seats forward and back to vaccuum under there.

Well... when I was moving the drivers seat back into position, the radio kicked off... when it came back on "CODE" appears (I gotta call the stealer tomorrow)..

but my question is, 3 hours of dome light and radio, with some power seat usage.. should that be enough to drain my battery to where I need a jump start?? Because I can see a small problem now, turning into a BIG problem in the dead of winter. (I live near dayton ohio, so it winter isn't too bad.
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

That is a mistake many people make. If you have the radio on, you need to put the ingition key into position 2. By this the whole car electronics is on stand by.
    Look here. Never leave the key inside for a long time!

or an old battery. my car was DOA when I bought it, as a matter of fact it was dead 2 times total, once for a lookabout and again a test drive. Keep the hazards and fogs off and it dont die. I have had that dead battery running my sound for over 3 hours with no problems. Might be time for a fresh one.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I see that applies to E32 - how about E34 ? I usually leave the key in the car (locked in garage) But have noticed some weak starts in the morning.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Same for E34. Many parts/systems are identical/exchangeable for E32>E34
    CCM can be used in both models, as well as LKM, GM, RM, etc.
    Headlights are same, suspension parts, engines (some), MAF, seats can be switched,
    and many other parts. The E32 is just the bigger brother of the E34.

Now if you pull the key out and put it back in - so that the gong is not ringing. Does that eliminate the problem ? If the car does not think that the key is in the ignition will it still drain the battery ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

FYI: letting the car idle in the driveway for 10-15 mins isn't going to put enough charge back in the battery to let you start the car the next morning....

but hopefully a 20 min drive to work will be enough to let me start my car and get home tonight.
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Default Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    Now if you pull the key out and put it back in - so that the gong is not ringing. Does that eliminate the problem ? If the car does not think that the key is in the ignition will it still drain the battery ?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I've found that does it. Learned that after just reaching in the window & turning the key to off. I guess it left the windows and such powered all night--dead as a doornail the next morning.