GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage and oil change -Is there relationship?

Default Gas mileage and oil change -Is there relationship?

Thought someone on this board stated that they changed their oil when their gas mileage started going up. It seemed to indicate that it needed changing?? Tell me more about this? I think I have noticed something similar. I use Mobil 1 0w40.

Just interested. TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

lighter oil less friction - less parasitic horsepower loss from the oil pump not doing as much work. Only downside is that you have less keeping the internal engine pieces from hitting each other
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Default Perhaps I did not make my point clear.

I mean that as you accumulate mileage, after an oil change-say 5,000 miles later, the gas mileage starts to go up.

Someone seemed to think that increased gas mileage indicated you needed to change your oil. It does not make sense to me. It would seem there is less friction when oil is new and as it "wears" friction would increase and mileage would go down,

just puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    lighter oil less friction - less parasitic horsepower loss from the oil pump not doing as much work. Only downside is that you have less keeping the internal engine pieces from hitting each other
    Last edited by Russell; 11-19-2004 at 10:46 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default The only thing that happens to old synthetic is...

it builds up cabon in the oil from the burned gasoline. Your oil filter takes out particles much larger and cant ever take the carbon molecules out. The carbon isnt a "lubricant" agent and adds to friction after a point (gets black), not necessarily a wear agent but kinda gums up the clean oil and adds stuff that isnt preferable. In that time when the oil builds this stuff it also collects other things like unburnt fuels from blowby, any additives in the fuel that arent burnt and so on. If you could filter the carbon out and the unburned addatives synthetic could virtually last forever. In the race car I would only use 3000 mile used synthetic because there is a point where the friction actually gets lower with a certain amount of carbon and causes less parastetic loss. Anyways, I'm old school and certain things stick to my old brain. Change your oil about every 7500 miles and be done.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

less friction when oil is new and as it "wears" friction would increase and mileage would go down
    thats what they prolly meant,consupmtion goes up...I would think it would be hardly noticeable,and well within the variation you would get with traffic jams,italian tune ups,needing to pump up your tires....etc
    Gone but not forgotten

TC535i Guest

I put 15-40 in my Kia this change instead of the 10-30 I normally use, and I've noticed my gas mileage go down 1-2 mpg

Default too thick, use 0w40 Mobil one and see an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    I put 15-40 in my Kia this change instead of the 10-30 I normally use, and I've noticed my gas mileage go down 1-2 mpg
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

the theary was that the viscosity had busted and the oil was getting lighter, i think that's what ryan was talking about
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

let me clarify....

my experience with mobil1 oils, as they are generally made on the borderline of thinness WRT the viscosity they are labeled as (5w30 almost a 20)....is that in my car, the mobil1s generally go out of grade by increasing MPG. with, for example, cheapo walmart 10w40, the car generally goes out of viscosity range by getting fatter, IE i know its time to change when i start losing gas mileage because that oil is constructed near the top edge of its viscosity rating (w40 almost being a 50wt). YMMV depending on the condition of your motor, but i was doing a lot of highway miles at the time (2k per month) and could notice when the change occured because of the amount of time i was behind the wheel.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    too thick, use 0w40 Mobil one and see an improvement.
    Uhh... yeaaaaah...

I'm not putting Mobil One in my Kia, that would go completely against everything that car is intended for! I refuse to spend any more than $1/qt, and $3 for the filter. Doing an oil change for <$10 is AWESOME.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast