GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: No REVERSE and a question about BavAuto springs

Default No REVERSE and a question about BavAuto springs

Well, I'm now three weeks into this 90 535 resto project. The thing has a whole laundry list of problems.

I replaced most of the front suspension and steering parts. Today I installed the BavAuto springs on the OEM Boges. Tires are stock 225/60's. It seems to ride a little too low. The tires clear the wheel wells, but not by much. I'm sure if I hit a big bump on a corner, I'd probably rub/mess up the fender. What's the deal with running these springs on stock wheels/tires/strut inserts?

Also, the car is visibly lower on the right versus the left sides (about one inch discrepancy in the back and front). I'm attributing 1/2" to the tires being particularly bad on the left side of the car; could the other 1/2" be due to my not switching the strut inserts? I'm also thinking it might be because of the way that I torqued the upper and lower control arms: the springs lowered the car so much that I couldn't get it on my ramps (bumper hit on the approaching angle), so I jacked up one side and torqued the opposite, then the reverse (I guess that qualifies as loaded?!).

The other thing is....the car has no reverse. I did the filter kit today. The fluid was red with a tinge of brown, but didn't smell burnt. It looks like it hasn't been flushed in a while - there was a thick layer of sludge on the bottom of the pan, esp on the magnets. The previous owner said that the car needs to have it's trans computer reprogrammed, which is supposed to solve the problem (!). The car had been sitting for a few years.

I'm thinking it IS an electrical problem. The A/S switch seems to be working, and I get acknowledgement of it on the dash, as well as hearing a switch in the trans. When I move the gear selector, it doesn't seem to do anything when shifting from P->R->N. Of course, it does something in D. Anybody have any ideas?

Finally - anyone know where I can get a set of instructions on replacing the tranny mounts? They're cracked on this thing!

Hope you all enjoy a nice sunday drive!

best, LOWELL

BTT - anyone have any ideas on the ride height discrepancy and the non-reversing 4hp22?

you might have torqued the thrust arms while the tires were too loaded thus lowering it even a bit more than the springs would have by them selves. You need to grab yourself 4 or 5 foot of 2 x 6 or 2 x 8s and cut it in half to solve yout ramp problem. http://www.bimmer.info/~632regal/safetyr%20ramp.jpg

the trans issue could hopefully be a loose wire or selenoid in the trans since it sounds as though it runs well in the forward gears.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I agree with Jeff. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the springs are seated in the strut housing spring pans and the upper mounts correctly. The ends of the springs should bump up against the notch in the seats.
    Can't help on the tranny issue.
    Keep us posted as to what you find.
    John R.
    1992 525 IA, EAT chip, 16 x 7.5 Rondell 58's, BavAuto Springs, Bilstein Sports, Elipsoid Smileys & fogs, Z3 Pistol grip shifter, 4 VDO gauge package, Azure Blue w/nice patina - clearcoat shot