GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on self-leveling elim kits?

Default Opinions on self-leveling elim kits?

I am thinking about doing this on my 93 525 touring. The self leveling is on it's way out and I figure it would be more economical, and "cooler" of course, to go this route. I tell my wife that it is more economical! Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Jeff

I love the LAD system. It worked now almost 17 years on my 750iL and there is no leakage or problem.
    In case there will be a failure of the rear shocks, I will buy new LAD shocks.
    If you eliminate the LAD system, you would also need auto leveling dip/headlight motors.

Do the non LAD cars have that? Thanks for the info. I had no clue about that! I just feel like the cost of the system is not in my best interest to replace. I don't carry a large load enough to neccesitate that.

whats wrong with the lad, leaking shocks or valve? or hard ride? hard ride is the accumulators have filled with fluid and need replacing 37 21 1 132 043 is the part# theres 2 of them and they are $215 each at the dealer, with some shopping they can probably be had for around $150-175 each. i show the shocks for a e32 (don't have a listing for the e34) to be $500 at the dealer and my cost is $317 so you can count on around $375-400 with some shopping, you can probably find some shocks and or a valve used if they are the same as a e32 (which id guess is a good chance) for at least half of that or less if they don't know what it's worth. used shocks or valve are ok as long as they are not leaking, accumulators should be purched new as they are the wear part, the shocks are just hydrallic cylinders and don't really matter how old if dry
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

thanks for the info. I am just not sure if I should do the switch over, because that would make future repairs a lot cheaper. But as I am not familiar with this system I can't say for sure if I like or dislike it (the LAD system). By the way what does LAD stand for?

it may be as simple as load assist dampers or some long winded stream of german words kinda like what vanos stands for
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Winfred,
    how hard are accumulators to replace? my 530i 94 was developing a 'harder' ride/very stiff. however, i had a ps fluid leak that i just fixed, so level had gotten really low. it seems to have improved since fixing leak (chf11s), but it s hard to really tell.

thanks

just jack it up unscrew the hose and undo the couple bolts holding it on and it's out, repete for other side, when done installing, with the rearend in the air and the fluid topped up run the car for about 5 minutes to bleed and your done

Quote Originally Posted by chamilun
    Winfred,
    how hard are accumulators to replace? my 530i 94 was developing a 'harder' ride/very stiff. however, i had a ps fluid leak that i just fixed, so level had gotten really low. it seems to have improved since fixing leak (chf11s), but it s hard to really tell.

thanks

Default here are schematic drawings on the system

This is a write up for German BMW technicians from a training course. It is in German language, but a lot of drawings and explosion drawings of the system for easy understanding. The system is very simple and basically maintenance free. If you exchange it now it will last at least for the next 10 years. The only el;ecrical part is the warning system for the CC, if the angle of the wheels exceed a certain degree from overloading. That's it. The regulating valve is simple mechanic stuff, as well as the adjustment system.

click here

And here is the adjustemtn procedure with ics in English and German from my page

There is even a technical information on Johan's page how to repair the shocks when leaking. Has been done by a guy in South Africa and meanwhile by several other people.

LAD bombs replacement in detail

LAD strut rebuild
    LAD replacing dust cover and rubber parts

I am assuming that this is similar to the touring suspensions? Those are some very helpful write-ups! Thanks,

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast