GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Dead Battery...Can't get in

Default Dead Battery...Can't get in

'92 525i BMW

I have a short someplace....battery is dead... I read my manual... on how to open the door from the passenger side. I tried for a hour, no luck...

My question is , from the passenger side, which way do you turn to unlock ? left or right, the manual state turn to unlock, while lifting handle, then release handle, then pull up agai...no luck..

Can someone please help me

Here are two options I found searching the archives:

Option 1:

If you go to the drivers door insert the ignition key and turn it as fare as you can to the Left you'll find that the lock has multiple positions.
    Holding it in the fare left position and raise the door handle this should open the door even without electricty, "Emergency Operation".
    To be on the safe side check this procedure in your owners manual or call the local BMR dealer if the manual's locked in the car.
    great thing with the Bmw E34/E32 is that it is almost impossible to open the doors without the key... But when your battery dies this feature might get you stuck outside of your car.

Unlocking procedure: ( Procedure courtesy of "the Master" Bill R. )
    1. Insert the master key into the front right door.
    2. Pull up the door handle.
    3. Turn the key counterclockwise to emergency unlock position 1.
    4. Open the door.
    5. Close doors and turn the right front door lock to the synchronize position 5.

This is for the driver door. The passenger door is the mirror image of the picture

Option 2:

You can pop the hood by inserting a long flat head screwdriver thru the grill on the RH side of the kidney(you looking at it).difficult for me to describe the exact loaction but if you shine a flashlight in the vicinity you will know the location.
    insert the screwdriver fully and turn.

Good luck,

Aaron
    Aaron

95 525iT (130k m.)
    86 325 (190k m.)
    76 2002 (125k m.) sold

netmgr Guest

Default loads

there seem to be a lot of people lately getting locked out of their e34s...and having difficulty with emergency unlock

The ermergency unlock procedure is a manual thing, ie no power needed - cant see how it can not work really - i often use it due to me having the car in storage and no battery - unlocks every time.

Default It's always worked for me...

Top of the key toward the back of the car. Lift the handle to let it turn more, it should work.

The hood release is a little metal nubbin, kind of triangular about 5mm on a side. As you kneel in front of the drivers side of the bumper and peer behind the drivers side kidney, you might see it sticking down. Prise it forward a wee bit with your flat blade screwdriver and the hood release will disengage. Then you can jumper a fresh battery to the terminals under the hood and you're good to go.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Default Thanks...

Eggdog23;

I will try it as soon as I get home...will let you know..

Netmgr;

my wrist is still hurting from all that turning... it aint that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by netmgr
    there seem to be a lot of people lately getting locked out of their e34s...and having difficulty with emergency unlock

The ermergency unlock procedure is a manual thing, ie no power needed - cant see how it can not work really - i often use it due to me having the car in storage and no battery - unlocks every time.

Default here's a diagram of the front driver's door....

Quote Originally Posted by pineman
    '92 525i BMW

I have a short someplace....battery is dead... I read my manual... on how to open the door from the passenger side. I tried for a hour, no luck...

My question is , from the passenger side, which way do you turn to unlock ? left or right, the manual state turn to unlock, while lifting handle, then release handle, then pull up agai...no luck..

Can someone please help me
    As stated in the other posts...you need to lift the handle and turn the lock to the emergency unlock position. Locks tend to respond differently and sometimes you need to pump the handle while turning...but the idea is to lift the lock pin manually...there's no electrical assist...so you will probably have to exert some effort turning the key.

This diagram is of the driver's door...the passenger door is a "mirror" opposite of this diagram in regards to the numbered positions.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Another trick - if you're very desperate and killed your battery by leaving your lights on - is to unscrew one of the license plate lights and attach leads from the lamp holder to a good battery or charger. It will (hopefully) provide enough juice to pop the door locks, at least.

I didn't know that you could open the hood with a screwdriver. That's good to know.