GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make your own in-car computer / lcd for under 1000$?

Default Make your own in-car computer / lcd for under 1000$?

This link might be worth a look for somebody here , i hope its not a repost:

bmwpc

That's pretty cool.... has anyone done it? Jon K.. didn't you put a car computer in?

R

Wow... That's so cool!

thats neato.! too bad somebody would probly break into my car and steal it.

how does the pc get power from the car? ...like where is it connected?

edit: and how do you hook up the sound? and where do you get that software and gps stuff?
    Last edited by liquidtiger720; 11-19-2004 at 12:26 AM.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    thats neato.! too bad somebody would probly break into my car and steal it.

how does the pc get power from the car? ...like where is it connected?

edit: and how do you hook up the sound? and where do you get that software and gps stuff?

I have a system like that...

My particular system is pretty elaborate. I have a custom designed PCB 60w DC-DC powersupply/shutdown controller triggering another 70w DC-DC power supply. I hook up sound with my USB 2.0 Audigy 2 NX 7.1 channel sound card, but I also have an onboard 6 channel soundcard that honestly sounds good as well. Software and GPS is personal preference. I had to f- with VB and make the front end "embed" the GPS software. The GPS receiver (mouse, for euro heads) is USB as well. I also have a compact flash reader to load music, USB connect for cell phone for wireless internet, USB camera, xbox networked over FTP drive, etc. It's nice. But it's not something you take on if you have no idea what you're getting into. It's all automated, but it takes work.

(my theme is amber now to match)

well, i was thinking of something simple

say, just that mini computer with gps software and the user interface (or whatever you want to call it). (basically, all i want is for it to play music,dvds,cds, and have gps)

i dont plan on doing this soon. but where would i find info on this? (yes, i am a audio/video noob!)

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

one of my buddies back in highschool had one of these in his audi, and it was the cleanest setup i've ever seen. It looked like it came from the factory. He uses a free program called media engine. Im planning on putting in one of these systems this winter (hopefully). But a basic one with music, gps and movies. The only thing is that i want mine to be flush mounted in the dash. I posted a question a few weeks ago on how to mount it but I'll figure out a way to do it

Black/Black '90 535IM..... '65 Cal look vw bug

Mmm... if I can get that CarPC to do radio... I might just get rid of the radio alltogether and just do the CarPC.. probably sound sucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Mmm... if I can get that CarPC to do radio... I might just get rid of the radio alltogether and just do the CarPC.. probably sound sucky.

You can do radio. USB radio tuners. But, you realize if you ditch your headunit you are going to need external variable gain amplifiers. It's not as easy as just dropping a $1000 computer in and being done with it

U mean PC doesn't have volume control? Come on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast