GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: window motor/regulator repair time

Default window motor/regulator repair time

How long would it take to replace a rear door window motor and regulator?

I have heard it is a pain to replace the regulator because of rivets etc.

I also understand that a plastic washer is what generally fails on on the regulator. However it is not available as a seperate part. TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Flat rate time is approx 1.8 for the regulator, so figure half a day for someone who doesn't do it often to be safe. Its not that big a pain and yes you do have to drill out rivets on most of them unless they have already been replaced once , in which case they are bolted in with M6x10 bolts and nuts ,

Not in the case of most of them i've worked on . Here is a photo of the gear tooth failure, not a plastic washer

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    How long would it take to replace a rear door window motor and regulator?

I have heard it is a pain to replace the regulator because of rivets etc.

I also understand that a plastic washer is what generally fails on on the regulator. However it is not available as a seperate part. TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rivets are usually easy to deal with... just drill it out!

I would budget between 1 and 1.5 hours. It really isn't that hard, but just remember to push the window up and tape it down when you are installing and tightening down the new mounting bolts.

The rivets are a pain because they spin as you try to drill them out. Someone mentioned that careful drilling at an angle helps to avoid that.

Thanks. is this gear tooth in the motor or regulator? Half day seems a long time.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Thanks. is this gear tooth in the motor or regulator? Half day seems a long time.
    I don't remember those parts, so I'm going to say the motor. The regulator is just a big metal scissors that lifts the window. The motor mounts to the regulator, so you'll swap it out to the new unit.

The plastic guides that slide within the tracks of the regulator (the one that broke on mine could not be serviced) are usually what break. Make sure you really grease up the tracks before putting the panel back on.

EDIT -

Here is a picture of it. You can see one of the white plastic guides at the 8:00 position. That is what broke on mine. If the other ones are broken, I think they can be replaced. If you replace the regulator, and it doesn't come with those guides, order new ones.

Last edited by xspeedy; 02-26-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Default The first time I did one of mine it took about 3 hrs.....

Remember, you have to remove to door panel, which means carefully popping out all the plastic push-in panel fasteners, the door interior screws (one is a torx), removing the small tweeter speaker, unhooking the bowden cable, unhooking the mirror control switch, partially or completely removing the foam padding.

Then you have to put it all back exactly like you removed it. Just getting the panel center wedge to catch is a pain. Take your time and do it right.

Once you have access to the window reg/motor you have to be careful. Glass, old plastic parts, and drilling don't mix. The best part is that after you fix it, you get to see the normally unseen miracle of the window mechanism in action as you cycle the window up and down repeatedly. What could be more fun?

Good luck!

JD

for me it was the plastic cog that failed.

it got all smushed, probably from me trying to open it when it was frozen shut.

the rivets are easy but still the job is a fidget.

one rivet off and cog cover removed...

While we're talking about this, does anyone know what kind of glue to use to glue down the connectors that keep the fasteners on the door panel? Half of mine have come off the door panel.

3m clear trim cement seems to work well
    Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast