GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold air on passenger side

Default Cold air on passenger side

Pulled the heater valve today and cleaned it. Checked to see if the solenoids were working properly, they were. Ran the car and still cold air on passenger side.....Disconnected the wires to the heater core and drove it again but still cold air on the passenger side. By theory if there is no power to the heater valve solenoid I should be getting hot air....correct? Why would I only be getting hot air on the drivers side and cold air on the passengers side?

What does this flap do? Passengerside temperature mixing flap

Following my logic. Kind of scary huh??? Anyway I now believe the problem lies with the cold air flapper on the passenger side. My reasoning is that prior to this problem when ever I would turn off the blower motor I would hear a thump after about 60 seconds. It no longer does this. I now believe this was the cold air flapper on the passenger side, and it was on its way out. Question now, is it the stepper motor, the linkage rod between the stepper motor, or the flapper itself. I know I will have to remove the front console to access the stepper motor but will I have to disassemble the IHKA to repair a broken flapper. I have seen picture of these beast and it looks pretty scary.

Are there two flaps? The reason I ask is that my car sat for so long that they must have been sticking. Then one day I after about 60 seconds I heard the thump and assumed it was some sort of heater flap. I do not have heat on passenger and posted about it. It was deemed that I may have a stuck solenoid but I still need to address it. Maybe I have a flapper problem.
    1952 MG TD
    1963 MGB
    1967 MGB GT Special
    1974 MGB Roadster
    1991 Ford Ranger
    1997 BMW 528I
    2000 Harley Davidson Softail
    2004 Ford Expedition

Yeah mine was always a thump after a few seconds of gears whining and then silence. I pray the flapper is not broken. I have a driveshaft to put into my 7 so the flapper will have to wait

On my E32 750 from 10/88 parts car I removed all parts and studied that. On left side of the IHKA unit there is a stepper motor, and that is connected with both flaps, left and right side with a bowden cable.
    You can access that the same way as you want to get to the blower fan motor.
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/ihka/ihka.html

I am going to try to make the repair this weekend. I am hoping I can make the repair without having to pull the dash. It will be very cold this weekend and even with a semi heated garage you can still have problems with plastic parts. I may have to wait for warmer days. Tomorrow I am hoping to get the driveshaft installed in the 7. Does anyone know why BMW put a two part driveshaft with a center bearing in these cars? There's not a lot of travel in the rear end.

Oh something I forgot to ask??? Is there a fuse on these stepper motors? One for each motor?

On the E32 I am hundred percent sure, no need to remove the dash, just then glovebox, the center console, the metal arm behind that from chassis to center console, the radio and the OBC, and it helps to remove the front seats and the steering wheel, so you have more space to manouver. But not a absolutel must do.
    On E34 I am not sure, but should probably the same.
    Stepper motors do not have a separate fuse, all controlled by the IHKA unit.
    Make pics, Joe, and a nice short instruction how to do.
    And good Luck

i have a question.. my heat gets generally warm but for some reason the vents in between the seats blowing towards the rear blow cold air. for now i just close them but im wondering why that might be. its not like warm air either its really cold air like its from outside

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.j View Post
    i have a question.. my heat gets generally warm but for some reason the vents in between the seats blowing towards the rear blow cold air. for now i just close them but im wondering why that might be. its not like warm air either its really cold air like its from outside
    They're designed to do that.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Yeap no hot air comes through that vent, it would be nice if you could control it.

do you mean vents in center console rear end? If that is the same like on the E32, that is only ambient air, hot air comes from under the seat.

http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/cent...ts_v1.1-1.html

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast