GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil seeping out of oil filter canister (m50)

Default oil seeping out of oil filter canister (m50)

i just did an oil change this past saturday. today i noticed that when the motor is running, oil is seeping out of where the canister meets the cover when the car is running.

i took it apart at lunch today, and put it back together. it still seeps a little oil but not as bad. it is still a problem.

is this the rubber gasket or something else? my thinking it is probably a bad gasket. any thoughts? tia.

did you tighten the bolt with a torque wrench? mine did that too until i memorized the amount of torque i needed to put into it with a regular wrench to close it up properly.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

no. i usually just tighten it down pretty tight and never had a problem in the past.

what should it be torqued to?

just put a new rubber on it and clean the surfaces real good, probably a freak incident unless you scratched it real deep. Tightening dont do much because its the O ring that does all the sealing.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

yea, i'm going to try another rubber ring. i don't see how i could scratch it since i dont use anything but my fingers to get the old ring out.

m42/44/50/52 all have problems with the rubber seal/o-ring between the housing and block, we do them all of the time, it's a pain but not terrible matter of fact i just did a 91 525 a couple days ago, over the space of the last month or so we've done 4 or 5 cars
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

TC535i Guest

Did you coat the gasket with oil before you reinstalled it?

Default Im sure he did, he isnt a newbie but I still asked about the same....

in my first response if you read it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    in my first response if you read it.
    I didn't (and still don't) see anything about coating the gasket with a layer of oil before reinstalling it... you asked if he scratched it, and cleaned the surfaces?

Besides cleaning the gasket, you're supposed to put a layer of oil on it, allows it to seat evenly/completely.

Default I have an oil leak when running also; maybe its the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    m42/44/50/52 all have problems with the rubber seal/o-ring between the housing and block, we do them all of the time, it's a pain but not terrible matter of fact i just did a 91 525 a couple days ago, over the space of the last month or so we've done 4 or 5 cars

Winfred, I have been going trying to find where my oil leak is coming from. I have recently replaced the valve cover gaskets, re-tightened all the oil pan bolts all to no avail. The oil is seeping down the drivers side of the block I think, and then on to the oil pan. I never considered the oil cannister leak until this thread came up. I would rather replace the oil cannister gasket before doing the oil pan gasket. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast