GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on aftermarket Cat?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Recommendations on aftermarket Cat?

Anyone have any recommendations on a good aftermarket cat?

I'm not looking for stock, and I'm not looking to spend thousands. I just want to get a near factory performance cat at a reasonable price.

Rod

Talk to Cat suppliers and Cat manufacturers... they will tell you the same thing... as long as your size it right, you will be fine. The bigger cat, the better... not the pipe size... the amount of cat material inside... If it looks like OEM, that great... if it look like a tiny replacement one, not so good... limited life.

The best news of all is that you can get exacting cat for fraction of OEM cats. Cut old cats of and weld in the new one.

In Europe there are cat recyclings very popular. Only the insert will be replaced. You have to send the complete cat in, they cut it off, remove the old insert one and weld the new one in. Usually they guarantee return shipment within the same day of arrival.
    Costs only about 300 $/unit. Compared to the other ones or BMW it is a bargain.

Find a good indy shop and have him put in whatever passes your DOT. It's not a big deal, and you can put the saved money toward new 02 sensors and have him put those in while he's at it.

Really, don't overthink this one...spend your time finding the right reputable indy, and pick the least drunk guy in his shop to do the install (usually the dirtiest guy, the one working the hardest should be your choice.)

I've gone to the Muffin Shop in Austin for over 20 years, and they've never been fazed by any challenge for any vehicle, and I trust them implicitly when they say that what the state makes them use will suffice. In Texas they have to turn in one cat for each they replace. Most non-attainment cities have these type regulations, so you're looking for quality of install over quality of cat.

HTH

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

being a welder myself i hate goint to a muffler shop, **** usually looks like it was welded with a coat hanger and a pair of batterys (like you'd do for a trail side repair) "here bend this and ill go weld it myself"
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks...

Has anyone else done this with success for both fitment and performance?

Rod

TCD sells a high flo cat.
    i'd get that.

Default Universals?

How about universal cats? I see that several manufacturers supply them, (Magnaflow etc) for pretty cheap... under $100 in most cases.

I'm assuming these are the ones you've been referring to since you talk about welding them in place.

Can anyone recommend a particular vendor and part number that will work? I'll take care of the welding part with an Indy.

Rod

Default Update ---

Apparently, most universal cats don't accomodate the twin pipe in/out that the 535 has.

For this reason, looks like options are limited to those manufacturers that emulate the OEM stuff exactly... which means higher end, and more $$.

If anyone has a workaround let me know.

Rod

Default Try here.

Check here

Quote Originally Posted by talltorontoguy
    Anyone have any recommendations on a good aftermarket cat?

I'm not looking for stock, and I'm not looking to spend thousands. I just want to get a near factory performance cat at a reasonable price.

Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast