GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with no stomp test...

Default What to do with no stomp test...

The stomp test doesn't work on my '95 540i (12/94 prod).. Is there any other way short of a code reader to get fault codes?

Two or three times now I've seen the check engine light pop on while the car is at idle (like at a stop light or something). It goes away as soon as I shift to 1st and start moving again. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dennis

'95 540i 6sp, uuc ssk, Dinan chip
    proud member of the nikasil club

Default Do a stomp test.

once you figure it out you will catch on. First time I did it I swore it wasnt an option. sit in car, close door, attach seatbelt to eliminate any distractions including radio. Turn key to the on position and stop FAST 5 times and watch the engine light...dont work? do i again...persistance pays. Wait at least 10 seconds between attempts if you dont get it the first time.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I'll go try again right now...I've tried quite a few times in the past but never got it to work. Hopefully persistance will pay

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    once you figure it out you will catch on. First time I did it I swore it wasnt an option. sit in car, close door, attach seatbelt to eliminate any distractions including radio. Turn key to the on position and stop FAST 5 times and watch the engine light...dont work? do i again...persistance pays. Wait at least 10 seconds between attempts if you dont get it the first time.

Dennis, maybe it's the Nikasil! *LOL* Welcome to the club. Like Jeff says, it can be a PITA but persistence pays off!

"Have it you indeed, warrior young. But purpose and conviction to stomp with you must!" Yoda

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

So you can do it on your 540? I was just in the garage again and I still can't get it to work.

I wanna make sure I'm doing it right... I turn the key to the position juat before ignition. Then, almost immediatly, (I think I tried waiting a couple seconds too) I hit the accelorator to the floor five times as quickly as I can. On Bruno's site it says 5 times within 5 seconds, should that maybe read 5 times over 5 seconds, i.e., once a second?

When you first turn the key to the appropriate position there's some blinking and dinging, should I wait till thats all done with or just get right to it?

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT
    Dennis, maybe it's the Nikasil! *LOL* Welcome to the club. Like Jeff says, it can be a PITA but persistence pays off!

"Have it you indeed, warrior young. But purpose and conviction to stomp with you must!" Yoda

netmgr Guest

Default what

blinking and dinging of what?

not the blinking of a check engine light by any chance?

Default If your car has been to the dealer and had the eeprom flashed then the

stomp test no longer works and you need a scan tool or code reader to read the codes.

Quote Originally Posted by wengenstein
    So you can do it on your 540? I was just in the garage again and I still can't get it to work.

I wanna make sure I'm doing it right... I turn the key to the position juat before ignition. Then, almost immediatly, (I think I tried waiting a couple seconds too) I hit the accelorator to the floor five times as quickly as I can. On Bruno's site it says 5 times within 5 seconds, should that maybe read 5 times over 5 seconds, i.e., once a second?

When you first turn the key to the appropriate position there's some blinking and dinging, should I wait till thats all done with or just get right to it?

no

Quote Originally Posted by netmgr
    blinking and dinging of what?

not the blinking of a check engine light by any chance?

Default turn the key all the way, just before engaging the starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    stomp test no longer works and you need a scan tool or code reader to read the codes.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thats gotta be it...I've tried everything. I'm going to go get dinner and order a code reader..

Thanks for the info Bill!

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast