GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 535i service lights

Default 535i service lights

I purchased a used '89 535i about 7 months ago and I recently got the oil changed at a chain oil change place (ez-lube). The green lights had been steadily going away but they reset them when I got the oil changed.

I assumed that the lights were going down to indicate an engine service, is this correct? Now that they've been reset, how can I know when an engine service is due?

I purchased the car with about 104,000 miles I have put about 7,000 on the car. What is the service interval for this engine?

Thanks

Most of this is explained in your owners manual, or you can do a search in this forum to find what should be done when the lights decline.

A good site to check out is www.bmwe34.net, which contains a lot of information about your car.

Basically the lights decline as oil change and service is required. Other lights may appear, like brake lining wear indicators etc to tell you that serviceis required.

Rod

Yah, many of us probably have our own "oil service" interval, therefore, ignoring the service indicator lights. Oil change interval will differ depending on type of service/use of car, whether using synthetic or "dino" oil, seasonal changes indicating need for different viscocity, or just personal preference about how often oil should be changed. You could ask for a poll and get many different answers. Too bad we can't program in our own personal service/oil service intervals!

netmgr Guest

Default service

I was under the impression the computer took into account amount of cold starts etc therefore reducing the time till next service accordingly

i find mine to be very accurate, varing accoring to driving pattern. tends to be about 6 months for normal driving(my amount of miles) or longer if i dont drive it at all.

Default time to learn about "intermediate oil changes"

Quote Originally Posted by gcraiga
    I purchased a used '89 535i about 7 months ago and I recently got the oil changed at a chain oil change place (ez-lube). The green lights had been steadily going away but they reset them when I got the oil changed.

I assumed that the lights were going down to indicate an engine service, is this correct? Now that they've been reset, how can I know when an engine service is due?

I purchased the car with about 104,000 miles I have put about 7,000 on the car. What is the service interval for this engine?

Thanks
    You appear to be an owner that perhaps should incorporate the "Intermediate Oil Change" interval. If you do intermediate oil changes ... you don't reset the Oil Service Insp light if you've changed the oil before the warning light has illuminated. You should wait until the Oil Serv Light illuminates (then change your oil again) then reset it. This will keep the Inspection I & II service interval lights on schedule. For oil changes...watch your mileage and how many green lights have extinguished...usually somewhere between the 2nd light going out and before the 3rd light goes out is about half way through an Oil Serv Inspection interval.

The following link details the Service Lights & Inspection Intervals and the topic and usage of intermediate oil changes is suggested: http://www.bmwworld.com/repairs/maintenance.htm

Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL