GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn signal and Flasher Problem

Default Turn signal and Flasher Problem

About a month ago the turn signal on my 95 525i (198K) began to blink very fast when I signalled for a turn. I lived with this for a while and then this week it stopped signalling entirely. Shortly thereafter I noticed that my emergency flasher wasn't working either.

I stopped at two dealers today, both who said that it could be a number of things and I need to make an appointment to have it checked out. I was looking for the quick fix (a la an American car where the flasher is small $5 metal can under the dash). I know there is a flasher relay (@ $90) but don't know if it controls both the turn signal and the emergency flasher.

Any thoughts?
    SU1973
    1995 525i 199,000 miles

Pull the crash control module. It is the taller brown relay to the right of the check control module, above the LKM, the long thing at the bottom of Bruno's picture. When pulled, check the turn signals for proper operation.
    I had a bad crash control module in my 535. It caused all kinds of hell. The flasher relay is the one opposite the check control module, left. It might be wonky, given your symptoms. The positions of relays may be different for your '95 e34. Where are you, that someone could swap relays for better diagnosis?

erased due to slander

if that doesn't work the hazard switch usually has all of the turn signal stuff running through it and can screw with it bad if broken
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Sometimes a rapid flashing turn signal situation means a bad turn signal bulb...Were all the turn signal bulbs flashing when you had rapid signalling?

Thanks Martin. I pulled it and no diff. I think its the flasher relay. That's the black relay just above the left end of the LKM module, right? I pulled that and the part number (1 388 533) is different than the number shown for the flasher relay in various parts listings, although it looks the same. In fact I couldn't find that #.
    SU1973
    1995 525i 199,000 miles

I think they were ok, Jon, but I couldn't say for sure. Nothing works now though. I guess I need to find someone to switch the flasher relay with, if I can figure out which one it is.
    SU1973
    1995 525i 199,000 miles

Thanks. I bet your right. Is the flasher relay the one just above the left end of the LKM module?
    SU1973
    1995 525i 199,000 miles

Default So your the one...

giving BMW drivers a bad name. All the changing lanes w/o signaling and just stabbing the brakes and turning.

Default Flasher relay position - pic...

Attached Images Attached Images  

some people use their signals like a question "can i get over?" others use theirs like a after thought "hey i just got over and this is the direction i just turned" i use mine like a statement "i am getting over!"

Quote Originally Posted by tdgard
    giving BMW drivers a bad name. All the changing lanes w/o signaling and just stabbing the brakes and turning.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast