GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help!!

Default Help!!

Am changing the front pads and rotor on my 95 540/6. How far back do I squeeze to piston into the caliper, and how much force is needed. The piston is still sticking out to far to get get the bracket over the rotor with the new pads. I have already used alot of force on the piston. Here's to hoping that the piston is not stuck. The brakes worked fine before I started. Cheers

I usually use a largerish C-clamp and a small block of wood to push the piston all the way back in.... also you might want to open the lid to your master cylinder, that might let the fluid reverse its flow a little easier.
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire
    Am changing the front pads and rotor on my 95 540/6. How far back do I squeeze to piston into the caliper, and how much force is needed. The piston is still sticking out to far to get get the bracket over the rotor with the new pads. I have already used alot of force on the piston. Here's to hoping that the piston is not stuck. The brakes worked fine before I started. Cheers
    maybr this will help: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...rakes/pads.htm

darron
    [IMG][/IMG]

Hope your not doing the bonehead thing that kept me from getting pads on....don't remove caliper bracket only guide bolts that hold caliper to bracket. The piston will not be completely flush with housing.
    Callen

Default caliper

Quote Originally Posted by callen
    Hope your not doing the bonehead thing that kept me from getting pads on....don't remove caliper bracket only guide bolts that hold caliper to bracket. The piston will not be completely flush with housing.
    Callen
    Boot is torn and the piston is corroded, getting it rebuilt. Thanks for the help

Default Suggestion...

if things are rusted and corroded it is possible that the brake fluid has never been replaced, might want to look into changing it out, along with all the other fluids that should be periodicly replaced.

Just a heads up.

Good luck!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default fluids

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    if things are rusted and corroded it is possible that the brake fluid has never been replaced, might want to look into changing it out, along with all the other fluids that should be periodicly replaced.

Just a heads up.

Good luck!

all fluids are replaced on sched. Thanks for the info. Nikasil rules