GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is VW Esso semi-synthetic "lifetime" ATF the same as

Default Is VW Esso semi-synthetic "lifetime" ATF the same as

the Esso LT71141 used in the BMW "lifetime" auto transmissions? I am going to buy a 1999 740i tomorrow and want to drop the tranny pan and replace the fluid and filter. It uses the Esso LT71141 fluid that is so expensive at BMW dealers, but I have heard rumors that the same fluid can be purchased at VW dealers for less than half the price. Doesn't make any sense to me, but that is what I have heard.

Also, is there any way to get the fluid out of the torque converters of these 5HP24 ZF transmissions? The GM trannys on my 525i's have a separate fluid pan for the converter and so I can get more of the fluid out by dropping both pans. There is about 3.5 liters of fluid in the torque converter and I would like to replace all of the fluid. Probably isn't all that important as getting the filter changed and any metal shavings out of the pan magnets, but if possible I would like to do it.

I think that the E34 540's have the same issues, so hopefully somebody here will have some suggestions for me. Buying a bimmer from an entirely different era and platform is a bit scary to me, as I was just getting used to the issues on my 525i's.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Default honestly, I would change it a little at a time for obvious reasons but,

lets look at the fluid differences...
    http://www.zf-group.com/pdf/OilReferenceGuide.pdf

OK 71141 would equate to 71141 in whatever it goes into.

I would just drain what comes out (appx 4 qts) and refill a couple times and then change the filter, or at least 1 cycle before changing the filter to get the trans acclimated to the fresh fluid. Save the shock syndrome that kills them.

my 2¢
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

It appears to be so that VW Esso and BMW Esso is same thing... According to a simple search on Yahoo. I am getting a bit lazy at reading in full... Look like you are gettin a dang nice E38!
    Last edited by Tiger; 11-11-2004 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    the Esso LT71141 used in the BMW "lifetime" auto transmissions? I am going to buy a 1999 740i tomorrow and want to drop the tranny pan and replace the fluid and filter. It uses the Esso LT71141 fluid that is so expensive at BMW dealers, but I have heard rumors that the same fluid can be purchased at VW dealers for less than half the price. Doesn't make any sense to me, but that is what I have heard.

Also, is there any way to get the fluid out of the torque converters of these 5HP24 ZF transmissions? The GM trannys on my 525i's have a separate fluid pan for the converter and so I can get more of the fluid out by dropping both pans. There is about 3.5 liters of fluid in the torque converter and I would like to replace all of the fluid. Probably isn't all that important as getting the filter changed and any metal shavings out of the pan magnets, but if possible I would like to do it.

I think that the E34 540's have the same issues, so hopefully somebody here will have some suggestions for me. Buying a bimmer from an entirely different era and platform is a bit scary to me, as I was just getting used to the issues on my 525i's.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders
    how do you know it doesn't use the shell LA 2634?
    or does this chart imply that you can use either?

Default I'm guessing that Dick is going by this chart

Quote Originally Posted by charlie
    how do you know it doesn't use the shell LA 2634?
    or does this chart imply that you can use either?

All E38 are Esso fluid.. only on 540 of E34 is Shell.

Default Correct, Bill - I finally printed it off! I had an interesting

conversation with the parts manager in a Wichita KS BMW dealership. I called today to see what parts they had in stock that I needed to change the auto tranny filter and fluid, and also the oil pan gasket kit to check on the oil pump bolts. When I asked for the tranny filter for the 1999 740i, he told me that there was no need to change the filter and fluid on these cars. After I patiently explained to him that I knew what the official BMW stance is and that I still wanted to do it, he then said that they did have the filter and Esso fluid in stock. I asked him, if there was no need to change the filter and fluid, then why did they stock replacements? He stuttered and stammered a bit, and said something like "well, just in case there is a problem with the tranny and they had to drop the pan". I told him that I certainly didn't want to wait until there was a "problem" before doing it.

I hope that when I get the parts they don't charge me double!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.

Default Dick, you might want to check on prices

Here

and Here for prices on that transmission fluid... one of them had it much cheaper...

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    conversation with the parts manager in a Wichita KS BMW dealership. I called today to see what parts they had in stock that I needed to change the auto tranny filter and fluid, and also the oil pan gasket kit to check on the oil pump bolts. When I asked for the tranny filter for the 1999 740i, he told me that there was no need to change the filter and fluid on these cars. After I patiently explained to him that I knew what the official BMW stance is and that I still wanted to do it, he then said that they did have the filter and Esso fluid in stock. I asked him, if there was no need to change the filter and fluid, then why did they stock replacements? He stuttered and stammered a bit, and said something like "well, just in case there is a problem with the tranny and they had to drop the pan". I told him that I certainly didn't want to wait until there was a "problem" before doing it.

I hope that when I get the parts they don't charge me double!

Default Thanks, Tiger. I called a VW dealer and a BMW dealer in Wichita

today and the prices, per liter, of the Esso stuff wasn't as different as I had read about. The BMW dealer said $26 a liter, and the VW dealer said $20. The big differece, though, is that the BMW dealer said it could only be purchased in a 20 liter drum, while the VW dealer had it available in single liter bottles! Now I really don't think I am going to need 20 liters of the stuff - heck it is supposed to last a "lifetime", right? Maybe I could put it into my will!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    It appears to be so that VW Esso and BMW Esso is same thing... According to a simple search on Yahoo. I am getting a bit lazy at reading in full... Look like you are gettin a dang nice E38!

Default Thanks Bill, I will check them out. However, I really want to take

the 740 out on the highway, and the 90 mile trip to Wichita and back should be a nice little jaunt for me to get acquainted with her. Besides, I need to get another master key for the car, and the dealer is the only place to do this, I believe. Should take me about 60 minutes each way, I figure! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Here

and Here for prices on that transmission fluid... one of them had it much cheaper...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast