GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with rear shock installation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help with rear shock installation

I need some serious help with reinstalling the rear shocks in my 94 525I. I got the old shocks and springs off o.k. but there doesn't seem to be enough room to use the coil spring compressors that I'm trying to use to install the new ones. Is there a special coil spring compressor that I need to use? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Default Spring compressor

I have done this several times and have always used a Macpherson strut spring compressor that I rented at the local autozone. This has 2 pieces that go on the outside of the spring. I have included a link that will show you what it looks like. This works like a champ.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...65515?v=glance

Good Luck

Tracy

Quote Originally Posted by gwilt
    I need some serious help with reinstalling the rear shocks in my 94 525I. I got the old shocks and springs off o.k. but there doesn't seem to be enough room to use the coil spring compressors that I'm trying to use to install the new ones. Is there a special coil spring compressor that I need to use? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Quote Originally Posted by tracye34
    I have done this several times and have always used a Macpherson strut spring compressor that I rented at the local autozone. This has 2 pieces that go on the outside of the spring. I have included a link that will show you what it looks like. This works like a champ.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...65515?v=glance

Good Luck

Tracy
    do you keep the spring compressors on when reinstalling the shock on the car? also, do you have to disconnect the sway bar link to reinstall it? thanks

Spring compressor to remove and install the shock... so you need it compressed to install new shocks.

i must be making this job a lot harder than it it cause i've been struggling with mine for a couple of days now. just can't get the springs compressed and up into the mounting position with the compressors still on.

What? Hold on... You must remove the entire shock assembly from the car. You cannot do this on the car. Take out your rear seat bottom, get the seat back loose and tilt foward... then get the three nuts off that mounting tower. Then take that one bolt on the bottom off and take out the assembly.

the old one is off as you described. i simply can't get the bottom of the shock to line up to get it installed in the hole in the trailing arm. do you disconnect the sway bar link to get the wheel to drop down further? thanks again.

Default I got it, ....

What you might have to do is use your jack with a chunk of wood to push the bottom of the shock up in order to lift it high enough to slide onto the mount. Last time I did this I didnt remember having such a problem but anyways the 4 x 4 chunk made it very easy, took no time on the other side.

Follow what I'm saying?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Mmm... never had that problem... mine just slip in perfectly. I got Eibach spring with Bilstein Sport. There is another possibility why it is not aligned... because the spring wasn't seat properly... they have the indent with stop where the spring is supposed to sit... did you check this?

yep the spring was seated in the gasket properly. your springs must be lowering springs, i'm reinstalling the originals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast