GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BF Goodrich Traction T/A vs. Michelin Pilot XGTV4

Default BF Goodrich Traction T/A vs. Michelin Pilot XGTV4

I want a set of V rated rubber for my stock 225/60/15s. I originally was set on getting a set of Michelin Pilot XGTV4s but I am turned off knowing there is no treadwear warranty (That is ridiculous! They should offer at least 25k warranty) They are sooo expensive but I like the tread design and the dry performance looks promising. The wet/snow performance seems to have mixed opinions. Lately I have been swayed to the BF Goodrich Traction T/As. They amazingly offer a 60k warranty (unheard of in a V rated tire!), are much cheaper and seem to offer better wet/snow performance. I'd like to hear any feedback from anyone having either of these tires or anyone else who recommends a better tire with superior all-weather performance, good treadwear and warranty.

King Of NYC

Quote Originally Posted by rockyfeller
    I want a set of V rated rubber for my stock 225/60/15s. I originally was set on getting a set of Michelin Pilot XGTV4s but I am turned off knowing there is no treadwear warranty (That is ridiculous! They should offer at least 25k warranty) They are sooo expensive but I like the tread design and the dry performance looks promising. The wet/snow performance seems to have mixed opinions. Lately I have been swayed to the BF Goodrich Traction T/As. They amazingly offer a 60k warranty (unheard of in a V rated tire!), are much cheaper and seem to offer better wet/snow performance. I'd like to hear any feedback from anyone having either of these tires or anyone else who recommends a better tire with superior all-weather performance, good treadwear and warranty.

I'm running a set since April. The first 5K miles have been great on dry and wet pavement. I will not run them in the snow. Here in Utah, a rear wheel drive car needs serious dedicated snow tires with studs IMHO. If you only see and inch or less, slush or rain, I might be tempted to try to get by. I'll revert to the 4wd pickup for snow and skiing expeditions. New carb on the snowblower as of last night, hope the 6 year drought is over.

Which set are you running Sweetwater? And how are they specifically in rain? My Pirelli HP's are like skating on ice when it's just raining. You can imagine how dangerous they are in snow. (NYC area) I have thought of getting Blizzaks too, but if I can get by on just all-seasons I'd be happy.

King Of NYC

I'm approaching 50k on a set of 225/60-15 BFG Touring TA VR4's. This is a V-rated all season tire. Not exactly the same tire, but may be representative. Mine are likely good for another 5-10k. Not bad for a $75 tire from Costco. Tire pressure is a big factor in tread life, I run 36psi front, 32psi rear. These pressures really help equalize wear across the tread, for my driving style anyway. I also have a pair of mounted snows I put on at the first snowfall.

Paul Shovestul

.....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Wow I run 41 psi rear, as that's what the manual recommends. Installers will always say otherwise, I don't think their data is as accurate as BMW's. So you were happy with the Touring T/As? The Traction T/As really are a different animal. The tread design is different and the Traction T/A are much stiffer/heavier. How was Costco's service? I wanted to buy from them but they don't seem to sell Traction T/As in this size for some reason.

King Of NYC

Which set are you running Sweetwater? And how are they specifically in rain? My Pirelli HP's are like skating on ice when it's just raining. You can imagine how dangerous they are in snow. (NYC area) I have thought of getting Blizzaks too, but if I can get by on just all-seasons I'd be happy.

I thought the question was about the BFG Traction TA's and that's what I'm running. So far, I like 'em. Haven't felt skitish in the rain at all, but then, I still have essentially full tread.
    Last edited by Sweetwater; 11-11-2004 at 11:52 AM.

Default I've got the Traction T/As - 225/60/15

Very happy with my investment. What's nice about the tire is it has a stiff side wall. The 225s are not low profile so the stiff side wall helps cornering and the ride. The tires are rated at 35 psi max. I like to keep them at 30-32 for a softer ride and that sidewall helps. Traction has been great in the rain. The rubber is not soft hence the 60K mile warranty but I didn't want soft especially in NE. I've had them about 4K miles with hardly any wear.

On third set of Michelin's. They wear really good....twice that of what I experienced with Yoko's. Also good grip and smooth. I now have them on both my 535 and 530i. Highly recommend. My 535i had shimmy at 55 but no more. Worth the expense.

Callen

41PSI is fully loaded and high speed meaning over 120MPH... Boy! That must be rough in NYC.

Default thats like laddar bars on a GM G-body

can feel cigarette butts as you roll over them.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast