GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1997 528i 198k $6500$ ????

Default 1997 528i 198k $6500$ ????

dirving homw i saw the car, and stoped out of coursity, mor for a friend than for me, but then i saw the price tag, 6500$ for a 97, i did a double take, walked around the car, interior could use a thing or two, and a fog light was out, then came the kicker, ITS A 5SPD, awsome, then i saw the miles. yes they are high, but im almost there, or will be 40k away, and id like to think my car will be very much alive in 40k. so i have to wonder, how is an engine on a 528. Its the origional owner, alway synethic oil, new clutch, new brakes, new starter, new battery, had it inspected, and found it to be in exelent condition.

basicly i want to know if a engine is gunna last me another 100k or whatever, i saw a block on ebay for 900, and if i swaped, then i would be in business, alot of work i know, but iv done it before,

basicly i want to know who in this forum would buy this car provided they need the car and had the money, why and why not, and commen problems with this car

thanks for all your guys help, this forum is a godsend

Kyle

I would buy it... the engine is same as the older 525 except a bit bigger... very durable. As the matter of fact, I bought a car with 193,000 miles on it... loved it. not much work to be done like you said.

That car is all highway so they will last very long... easily 300K miles... because highway are smooth roads and not so much of bumps as in city... all components last twice or triple of normal cars... suspensions that is.

Engine is still by mileage as far as waterpump, radiator, wear and tear items... probably all already done because we know they only last about 110K miles or so.

the e34 will be much less of a bitch to deal with then a high mile e39, the m52 motor is really just a m50 with a slightly longer stroke to get it from 2.5 to 2.8 and if the oil's been changed in a timely manner the motor's fine at 200k, but it won't be as healthy as a m30 at 200k. i like the looks and comfortable seats of the e39 but that's about it, too much crappy plastic and cheeply made electronics (that and almost every e39 that's been through our shop i've put at least one head{one head and two motors in one} on it from it having been overheated)
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Winfred:

went by dealer to pick up yet another part for my cars...walking distance from work..and saw a black on black 99 540 Touring. Had some dings but interior was perfect...ended up only having 48k miles....so asked used car dealer and said $19.9. Wow great price test drove it and was hooked.....then started thinking about fixing the darn thing.....all the electronics and decided for now to skip and keep working on my old 535.

i aint calling all newer cars evil, ya can't drive the same car forever i am just not impressed with the newer offerings, everybody's gotta form their own opinion, the shade tree car owner is being fazed out in a big way with some of the crap that's being designed, alot of this stuff we are even flying blind on without 10k worth of test equipment to tell you this damn little module has died, or my personal favorite to reprogram a computer because it thinks theres something wrong with a component, but the only thing that is wrong is the refrence settings in the computer memory are no longer true and need to be updated (i ****ing hate obdII)

Quote Originally Posted by callen
    Winfred:

went by dealer to pick up yet another part for my cars...walking distance from work..and saw a black on black 99 540 Touring. Had some dings but interior was perfect...ended up only having 48k miles....so asked used car dealer and said $19.9. Wow great price test drove it and was hooked.....then started thinking about fixing the darn thing.....all the electronics and decided for now to skip and keep working on my old 535.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

No reason to hate OBDII... just that they are shutting everyone down outside of dealer to handle that problem. It is common delimma all garage are faced with...