GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intermittent Rumble at highway speed

Sorry Graybeard, that was a quarter-life ago for me and I no longer have that particular e34, nor do I think I ever found a definitive solution to the problem. I can tell you I had the car for nearly 4 more years after that post and I don't remember the rumble being a lingering issue, but perhaps too many other issues masked it after a while. I do remember that the drivetrain was in pretty good shape at the time and those tires wore out evenly several years later without a problem. Things that were failing around that time included the exhaust and suspension. A few months later, I installed new lower control arms, sway bar bushings, and rear pitman--- anything that might reduce vibration. I also spent a lot of time trying any trick or chemical that would remove carbon deposits or clean the fuel system because I remember feeling like the engine wasn't as smooth as it should be. I did the BG-44K hot soak, which was popular for a while. I think that might have helped a bit.

I think everyone here can relate to that unpleasant, and all too common, sensation while driving along in these cars that something new is vibrating or too noisy or loose. It definitely takes away from the day to day driving pleasure for me. My newer 525i is in much better shape than the one I had in 2004, but I still get a weird hesitation or a random subtle shimmy from time to time. There are days when everything just clicks and the car seems to drive like new and there are other days when I miss the simple reliability of a new Honda.

I will probably need to revive the rear suspension pretty soon, including the beer cans, but I am dreading that job more than any other to date. I am even considering (gasp) paying someone else to replace the bushings.

1995 525i 5-Speed 201,000mi

Hey Benny, sorry to hear you didn't find the source, but thanks for taking time to respond. The sound is that classic rumble strip growl, lasting just a second or two. I'm suspecting the torque converter lockout clutch -- I'm due for a fluid change and I think I'll give Kirt Koeller a call to see if there's a solenoid I might try checking out while I have the pan off.

It's been going on so long, I've kinda learned to live with it, but I think I've noticed a subtle change in the sound. Coming up on 195K, so the trans may be due to start acting up (hope not).

I hear you on those beer can bushings. There's no grunt work like suspension work as far as I'm concerned. Good luck!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12