GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have a 535 that was in accident, need some advice.

Default Have a 535 that was in accident, need some advice.

I am rebuilding a 1990 535i that was run off the road. I had frame straightened by a professional frame shop. Now the only problem I have is the caster on the left front wheel is off. I replaced lower control arm, and the strut insert, the housing is ok. If I pull the thrust arm bushing bolt out and pull the wheel to correct position the hole is off by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Thrust arm doesn't appear to be bent and measures the same as the right in overall length. anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be.

Have that body shop bend your frame back to shape in that section.

Default I would raise it up and check it again according to these

specs, I'm assuming you know how to x check it measuring in an x from the points listed to see if its square... My money is on the frame shop didn't get it pulled out correctly

Quote Originally Posted by JayBMW535
    I am rebuilding a 1990 535i that was run off the road. I had frame straightened by a professional frame shop. Now the only problem I have is the caster on the left front wheel is off. I replaced lower control arm, and the strut insert, the housing is ok. If I pull the thrust arm bushing bolt out and pull the wheel to correct position the hole is off by 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. Thrust arm doesn't appear to be bent and measures the same as the right in overall length. anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be.

Default The Frame is within specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Have that body shop bend your frame back to shape in that section.
    The Frame was already straightened.

Thank you sir,

I have the Mitchell crash guide to use, however it only had the underhood dimensions. I will check them tommorow.

Default Jay, this one might help some too... the dimensions as posted are +- 2 mm also and

the numbers in brackets apply to the 4x4 model only

Thank you sir,

I have the Mitchell crash guide to use, however it only had the underhood dimensions. I will check them tommorow.

The measurements helped alot, Hovever I was expecting to find something out of sorts. all the measurements check out most are right on and others within a mm. So if the 800mm accross the rear cross member checks out, does that mean the crossmember is not bent? All the measurements between points D and point A checkout. the 110.1 is 110, the 266.5 is 267 and the 1132 is 1131.5, I did notice the distance between the tierod and the thrust arm has a larger clearance on the passenger side than the one on the driverside. Bent Thrust Arm?

Default sounds like you might have found something there!

The measurements helped alot, Hovever I was expecting to find something out of sorts. all the measurements check out most are right on and others within a mm. So if the 800mm accross the rear cross member checks out, does that mean the crossmember is not bent? All the measurements between points D and point A checkout. the 110.1 is 110, the 266.5 is 267 and the 1132 is 1131.5, I did notice the distance between the tierod and the thrust arm has a larger clearance on the passenger side than the one on the driverside. Bent Thrust Arm?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Cross member could be bent or perhaps frame has a vertical misalignment. Have you checked dimensions down to a level floor?
    You replaced a lower control arm. If it was bent then it's possible the same impact that damaged it pushed thrust arm into crossmember bending it. I'd try to measure from thrust arm bushing bracket to C or D and look for a left/right side variance.

Paul Shovestul

.....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Ok, I will check it that way. This is the first one I have fixed with damage behind the tower. most are hit high and in front of the tower from being driven under something from hard braking on impact. I love the e28 and e34 so since they are built so strong it can be tough to get them straightened back out. Most people don't realize how well they are built. They are built like tanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast