GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: new kind of oem plastic waterpump?

Default new kind of oem plastic waterpump?

hey guys,

i recently brought my car to my mechanic to change my thermostat and waterpump. i asked if i should get a metal one but he said that bmw made the plastic one better so it doesn't break as often. anyone hear anything about this? thanks for your input.

Edwin

Horse Hockey-

The BMW oem pump has a metal impeller that looks like it could survive a direct hit from a MOAB. The laso and others that use the plastic impeller are like Bush's foreign policy: just waiting to blow up in your face and cost a hundred billion more than you thought.

Tim

i would go for the metal one... however strong that new plastic is, it can't be as strong as metal.

my 2c

dont accept the plastic impeller one, the plastic slips on the shaft after a while and will cause it to overheat leading to a cracked head or worse.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I'm not sure what to do. He already put it on and verbally gauranteed it would last. He's also a mechanic for my parents' cars so I don't want to ruin the relationship at all. Should I just take his word for it and prove him wrong when it breaks. I could probably argue him to fix it for free or use the metal impellar. I would want to get in there and replace it myself but I am strapped for time these days. What would you do?
    Thanks,

Edwin

Live with it I guess. It should last a coupla years.

Get the "guarantee" in writing.

It sounds like it's a composite impeller - which is the style BMW is currently making. It's not plastic, like the awful old ones, but apparently the metal ones had problems, too - so they've moved to a third iteration of impeller pump design, and gone with a composite resin material.

http://www.bimmerfest.org/forums/sho...1&postcount=31

I'd assume this is the case, at least. I haven't read much about this with concern to the E34.

With a Metal Impellar Pump costing literally only a few dollars more, it is well worth the investment. Just had mine done three weeks ago.

thanks for that info. i believe it is the composite one. i guess that puts me a little bit more at ease. thanks guys!

Edwin