GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Sachs Sportin Kit compare with Bilstein/H&R?

Default How does Sachs Sportin Kit compare with Bilstein/H&R?

I need new suspension bad (my shocks are leaking). These seem to be one of the most popular suspension upgrades, how do these two compare?

I've got the H&R/Bilstein setup, and it's great. Be advised, it's somewhat stiff, so if you have a higher mileage car with old bushings, it's going to put quite a bit of stress on them, and you will notice a little more vibration if yours are going bad. I would recommend Bruno's Thrust arm and Subframe inserts to compensate for that. I haven't had any experience with the Sachs kit, but i hear it's liked by almost everyone who has it. The Bilsteins Sports are a pretty stiff damper, but it doesn't sacrifice ride quality.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

I had Bilstein/H&R before on my car, and they are way too hard on the ride. You can hear every bump and feel almost everything in between. Now I have the Sachs Sport kit on it, and they rides way better and they don't bottom out everytime. Seems handle better also, better body control. Most difference is that the sachs kit is a matched set, not by mismatched spring and shocks. For around the same price for both set up, I would go with the Sachs kit.

i believe i have the softer version of the H&R springs too, so it's a less harsh than H&R Sports.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    i believe i have the softer version of the H&R springs too, so it's a less harsh than H&R Sports.
    i've got the Bilstein Sport shocks w/ H&R Sport springs... it's harsh... but i still love it just the same.

Default lowering your e34

I installed the Bilstein sport shocks / H&R lowering spring combination in my 1990 535i last spring. After blowing out two sets of front strut mounts (one instance of which left a not so nice dent in my hood) and having my teeth put back in I have removed the H&Rs and replaced them with the OEM springs. There is just not enough travel with the shorter springs to allow the shock to properly do it's job. I left the Bilstein sports in and went from a 15" x 7" wheel to 18" x 8.5" wheel with 235/40 Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. The car does not look as pretty sitting up a little higher but the ride has improved substantially. Any stiffness lost by removing the short springs was regained with the new larger wheel / lower profile tire setup but the car no longer has the teeth rattling / bottoming out characteristic over rough surfaces. I have ordered a set of front and rear M Tech sway bars for the car and I hope these will improve handling.

My advice to anyone considering lowering their E34 is DON'T DO IT!!! BMW has literally spent millions of dollars researching the characteristics associated with various ride heights we are very unlikely to come up with a better formula than they can with a few phone calls or questions posted on the net. Although I loved the look of the lowered car I will gladly trade having my ego stroked for lower dentist's bills.

I will update as soon as the sway bars are in.

The Sachs is a great kit as it matches the spring and shocks. The Bilstein Sports will have less travel because of the internal bumpstops. The konis have a greater travel and use external bumpstops. Travel is great for bottoming out less, maintain tire contact and compiant ride (b/c of bottoming out). I have experienced konis, bilsteins, sachs, custom shocks as well as RD springs, M-tech, M5, Sachs, and H&R springs. Sachs is a great kit because it is matched and has better shock travel. If you decide to go H&R route, go with koni shocks. However, don't think that any of these are luxury shocks. These are all sport set-ups. The Sachs is compliant and tight, but does not bottom out as much as the Bilstein sports. The matching of the spring/shocks allows for a good ride that remains tight. The konis are also good, but only the rebound is adjustable...they are still very good shocks, just cost more.

If you do want springs/shocks that you know will perform well and have a decent ride as well as not worry about it matching each other, then go for the Sachs.

Oh BMW did intend for the e34 to be lower i.e. the M5. Plus, with the right bits swapped, the e34 suspension works very very well lowered and sporty.
    Brandon J

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    I need new suspension bad (my shocks are leaking). These seem to be one of the most popular suspension upgrades, how do these two compare?
    I drove both cars, the Sach kit is great, might not lower as much.
    They are both a stiff drive, but the sach kit isn't as stiff. But it is stiffer than the bavauto springs....
    '85 Euro 635csi Race Turbo, megasquirt, Group A
    '92 525i Touring 5 speed, 3.46 diff, UUC 8.5lb flywheel, soon to be turbo.
    '02 Subaru WRX Wagon with STI springs, bigger sway bars

Tires makes big difference in ride quality. I went from Nitto Extreme 555 to Bridgestone RE730... about the same sidewall height... man! What a difference! It is much more bearable.

Nitto was hard as a rock when hitting potholes, bumps anything with sudden change in road. Bridgestone soaked it up and never jarring.

When I said sidewall thickness... that's because I went from 235-45R17 to 225-50R16... not the right 16" tire for E34... 3/4" too small but I want to use up the tire before I buy new set.

By the way, I got Eibach and Bilstein Sport... next step is thicker spring pads... I think this will cinch it. Old pad is so worn out.

Thanks for the info Brandon. Which suspension parts are you talking about swapping from the M5 to the 535? I've been told that the geometry is quite different on the two cars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast