GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: e34 differential

Default e34 differential

hi.
    Well, since my differential needs new seals, gaskets, and probly other little stuff i was wondering how much it would cost to buy a new/used differential.
    1. where could i look to find new or used e34 differentials (open and/or limited slip)?
    2. how much would it cost?
    3. what ratio would you get?

TIA

oh yea, car is an automatic, so right now i have a 4.10 open differential. was quoted $330 for 2 seals and gasket insall.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/Recipe.htm

click above link, then scroll down the page for some recommended diff ratio "upgrades", though if you have a 4.10 right now, moving up 1 level would be a 4.27 which can be hard to find.

BTW- what car do you have?? (525/535/530 all use the same type diff, 540/M5 use a different type)....

I've got a couple different ratios available, both LSD and open. Let me know what you want to do and I'll see if I can help.

Thanks!

Bret

hmm, thats weird. it says i have a 3.23. i was thought i had a 4.10. what ratio would be the best for a 95 525i automatic?

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

It's sort of impossible to answer the question about the "best" ratio for your car. Since you probably have a 3.23 ratio, I would not go TOO far up (or down) from there, unless you have a specific reason to do so. I would think you could go for a 3.46 or a 3.64 and not have any negative effects.

Bret.

well,i just want a little more acceleration, but i dont want to sacrafice too much mpg.
    i still dont know where to start looking on buying the differential. i am getting mixed info on what i have already. supposedly the canadian e34's came with 4.27lsd. which leads me to think i have a 4.10 not the said 3.23.

does anybody know anywhere to find some differentials??

www.KaRealtySF.com

First, you need to confirm which diff you have in there now- that's should not be too hard as there's a metal tag on the rear cover with the ratio- if you have a 3.23 it will have "323" plus some other numbers/letters on it, if you have a 3.23 Limited slip is will say "S 323" plus the other stuff.

I have a couple of diffs that will work for you, some open, some limited slip- you just need to decide what you want to install!

Thanks, Bret.

hehe, yeah, i know. ill crawl under soon. i also need to know how much a new/used differential is! hehe.

thanks for all your help so far rigmaster.

www.KaRealtySF.com

Default This might help

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    hehe, yeah, i know. ill crawl under soon. i also need to know how much a new/used differential is! hehe.

thanks for all your help so far rigmaster.

Nice chart Bill, THANKS!!

Liquidtiger- I can sell you a used E34/E32 LSD in a couple different ratios for $300 + shipping, or a used OPEN diff in a couple of different ratios for $225 + shipping.

"NEW" diffs will be ~$2k or so, www.diffsonline.com sells rebuilt diffs for ~$1600-1800.

Let me know once you find out what ratio you currently have, and I'll see what I have that would work for you.

Thanks!

Bret.

Default Bret, I thought you already had them, i posted them a

while back. Here's the rest of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    Nice chart Bill, THANKS!!

Liquidtiger- I can sell you a used E34/E32 LSD in a couple different ratios for $300 + shipping, or a used OPEN diff in a couple of different ratios for $225 + shipping.

"NEW" diffs will be ~$2k or so, www.diffsonline.com sells rebuilt diffs for ~$1600-1800.

Let me know once you find out what ratio you currently have, and I'll see what I have that would work for you.

Thanks!

Bret.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast