GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 540i - lumpy idle!!

Default 540i - lumpy idle!!

My 1995 540i 6spd has developed a slightly lumpy idle when cold. It disappears when the car heats up. It has also developed a slight whining noise at times.

Although the Nikasil issues weren't a problem here in Oz, I took it to the local stealer with a degree of trepidation, knowing that lumpy idle is a symptom of that problem.

Anyway, they tell me my motor is fine, apart from a leaking PCV/PVC/PVA?? valve or something similar at the back of the motor, which is leaking air, resulting in the lumpy idle and the whining noise.

The fix involves removing the intake manifold, repairing, and putting back together at a cost of some AUD$750 or so.

I have 2 questions:
    1) does this sound like a reasonable solution (and cost) to the problem, and
    2) while the 'top is off' is there anything else that I should get done as part of recommended maintenance etc?

Comments appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by 95-540iLE; 11-01-2004 at 10:09 PM.

Intake Manifold Gasket is a common problem at this age in the car. The second I replaced mine the engine smoothed out and my gas mileage increased about 30% and all of a sudden I liked my car again. I cant speak to the cost in AUD. It cost me about $600 USD. I did not do any other maintenance - as I had this job outsourced. It was beyond my ability. - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Default Here's part of the bulletin on the valve. I couldn't tell you if thats a

reasonable price or not...If you're going to pull the manifold to do it , then you'll replace all the gaskets while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by 95-540iLE
    My 1995 540i 6spd has developed a slightly lumpy idle when cold. It disappears when the car heats up. It has also developed a slight whining noise at times.

Although the Nikasil issues weren't a problem here in Oz, I took it to the local stealer with a degree of trepidation, knowing that lumpy idle is a symptom of that problem.

Anyway, they tell me my motor is fine, apart from a leaking PCV/PVC/PVA?? valve or something similar at the back of the motor, which is leaking air, resulting in the lumpy idle and the whining noise.

The fix involves removing the intake manifold, repairing, and putting back together at a cost of some AUD$750 or so.

I have 2 questions:
    1) does this sound like a reasonable solution (and cost) to the problem, and
    2) while the 'top is off' is there anything else that I should get done as part of recommended maintenance etc?

Comments appreciated.

Cheers

LE, yes...it is most likely the rear vacuum plate. See more M60 vacuum plate thread here.

Like John says, might as well do the intake gaskets as well while you have the whole upper engine cleared off...

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Thanks Guys. Sounds like I have been steered in the right direction. It also sounds like I might notice a bit more of an improvement than just a smoother idle!

In terms of the maintenance thing, I guess what I was getting at, is, if there is any other common problem(s) I could face that would involve removing the intake manifold, should I look at spending a bit extra and getting this done while it is off - to save costs of removing it all again some time in the future?

Thanks again.

David